Mercury  Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums

Mercury Forum - Mercury Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/)
-   Grand Marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/)
-   -   grandmas 89 marquis (https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/grand-marquis-14/grandmas-89-marquis-3198/)

granny muscle 08-10-2009 04:03 PM

grandmas 89 marquis

Im down in chicago for college at UTI and my bro just got my grandmas 89 grand marquis MINT.90k . I wanna beef it up a little and maybe try and improve fuel economy. anyone got any ideas ?

slymer 08-10-2009 06:25 PM

cold air intake (you'll have to make it, there aren't any made for that car - check the intake threads) and dual exhaust. then drive it like a granny. real easy on the gas. It should make just over 20 on the highway that way... maybe more.

87_Crown_Vic 08-10-2009 10:06 PM

dual exhaust, cold air from ebay meant for a 1990-1993 Acura Integra, swap the upper intake to a HO one from a lincoln Mark 7 or compatible, have EGR spacer bored out, will have to find somebody to mod the throttlebody to be made compatible for the car, could change gears, do a tune-up, fuel filter, trans fluid and filter change...

my girlfriends 1989 Crown Vic normally averages 25mpg on the highway... still need to swap heads on her car to make it breathe easier and install her headers

granny muscle 08-12-2009 10:37 AM

ill be doing the exhaust and intake for sure. how much did it cost you to do the exhaust? and also i was wondering how much it would cost to cam it im havin trouble findin parts.

slymer 08-12-2009 12:11 PM

just did the convert to dual (stock style 2" pipes - replaced Y with H pipe and added driver side) for ~$325 at a local muffler shop. I had the original muffler replaced a while back after the original one exploded (that was a fun morning) and that was an additional ~$160. I have magnaflow mufflers on my car. here's a pic of the raw job:
https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/p...5&pictureid=98

granny muscle 08-12-2009 07:45 PM

alright (sorry new to this) so if i wanted to just straight pipe from the cats i would need another cat and the H pipe and straight pipes? talk slowly :D

87_Crown_Vic 08-13-2009 03:27 PM

the catalytic convertors are located before the Y pipe. should just need to either find a H pipe at junkyard from Crown Vic, Town Car or Grand Marquis that has dual exhaust. i just got my stuff from junkyard and installed myself so i didnt have to pay. about the cam... i would get a cam for a 1997 Explorer since it is HO style to change firing order to treat the lower main bearings better, and have the torque still since these are heavy cars. when doing this, you should find a Lincoln Mark 7 ECM(brain, computer) to have the car fire the injectors correctly. mustang HO cam would work, but wouldnt have the pull off the line compared to a Explorer cam

slymer 08-13-2009 03:42 PM

autozone offers the H pipe and driver side tail pipe for about $70-80 together (search their site for exhaust pipe) if you can't find it in any junk yards. Just get a muffler to fit between the H and tail and you're good to go.

granny muscle 08-14-2009 12:24 PM

hmmm autozone you say.. ill give it a look . and as for junkyards there aint **** around here everything gets squished. i miss minnesota already :( thanks for the help guys

slymer 08-20-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 87_Crown_Vic (Post 10747)
dual exhaust, cold air from ebay meant for a 1990-1993 Acura Integra, swap the upper intake to a HO one from a lincoln Mark 7 or compatible, have EGR spacer bored out, will have to find somebody to mod the throttlebody to be made compatible for the car, could change gears, do a tune-up, fuel filter, trans fluid and filter change...

my girlfriends 1989 Crown Vic normally averages 25mpg on the highway... still need to swap heads on her car to make it breathe easier and install her headers

Is it true that you can use a mustang HO upper intake and just point it in the right direction for the MGM? From what I can tell, (searching for plenum gaskets) it's the same bolt pattern for thunderbirds, mustangs, mark 7s, vics and marquis.

87_Crown_Vic 08-21-2009 08:16 AM

if you can find a mustang HO upper intake you just need to flip it to face the way our cars go... you wont need the egr spacer but will need to snag the throttlebody. i usually find my HO intakes from lincoln Mark 7 with the HO. cant always go by that cover plate that says 5.0 ....... you need to remove that and under that is where it says if the intake is a true HO .... you dont think i paint the stock ones and put them on now do you? i paint the HO setup since it wont be getting replaced at any point then install that and scrap the stock upper intake. my panther chassis cars here have HO uppers on them and my 2 door Crown Vic i am resurrecting is getting a typhoon upper and lower intake that i got off ebay. the typhoon is better breathing then the HO but costs around $200 or more if you can find one

slymer 08-21-2009 02:54 PM

If I find one, I'll probably take the whole upper intake to throttle body so I don't have to break the seals on those gaskets. If they're as stuck on as the one on my car, getting them apart may end up breaking something (mine seems to be welded together, it's so stuck on).

87_Crown_Vic 08-21-2009 03:16 PM

i use a screw driver and hammer to tap down in the grooves to pop them loose... wont break anything... the throttle body on a HO works opposite way compared to what is on our cars because the upper intake is reversed on HO setups

slymer 08-21-2009 04:07 PM

true. I'll keep that in mind if I ever get the guts up to do that much to my car. I'm a little timid when it comes to internal engine stuff since I've never actually done any of that (replace the camshaft). Right now I'm more intent on making my intake a true cold air intake.

kwolfeman91 09-01-2009 01:11 PM

I have a 1993 Grand Marquis and im wanting to put dual exhaust on it yall have any recommendation of what i should get? im trying to keep it cheap as possible too...

slymer 09-01-2009 04:16 PM

if you want to do it as cheap as possible, go get a set off a police interceptor from the cats out the tail from a junk yard. If that's not an option, get some bolt-on hangers, H-pipe and driver side tail pipe along with a muffler and weld it all together. Autozone sells the H-pipe and tail-pipe together for less than $100 if I remember right.

granny muscle 09-13-2009 01:15 PM

i got jacked

slymer 09-13-2009 08:13 PM

how so? someone steal the ride? someone steal your money and not give you parts?

kwolfeman91 09-21-2009 12:51 PM

I put dual exhaust ( flow masters) on mine recently... it helped a little bit... you coulc put a cold air intake on it... and i have came to the conclusion that BP gas lasts longer than any other gas out there... they put invigorate in thier gas and it helps your gas mileage and you engine...

maxfax3 09-21-2009 08:53 PM

It's amazing what fuel quality will do to these cars.. Any car really.. My 96 MGM is quite fussey about it.. When I was claims adjusting I got sent all over the place.. I was sent to on particular area for a few weeks, and bought gas in that area as it was convieient.. At the same time the car got extremely hard to start... Up to 30+ seconds of crank time if I was lucky.. After doing the normal stufff (plugs, fuel filter, clean MAF, check sensors) nothing chancged.. When I got back to my local area and filling at my normal stop the problem went away right away on the first tank of gas... Some places I;ve bought gas have induced constant sallting fits and other odd issues..

I guess this should be for another thread.. AS a matter of fact I think I will out of curiosity..