Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Hazzards/Flashers Stopped Working

Old 06-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Default Hazzards/Flashers Stopped Working

The hazzards or flashers in my 96 Grand Marquis have never worked since I owned the car. I want to get this fixed since it can be dangerous not to have them. When the hazzard button is pushed down nothing happens and the blinkers stop working (which I guess would be normal). Any ideas? I did some searching and it seems this car doesn't have a flasher relay but a lighting control module of some sort?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM

we had this sort of issue with my wife's 93 crown vic. what we ended up doing was hosing out the hazard switch and blinker switch with contact cleaner. haven't had any issues since.

but first, check your fuses. according to the manual (PDF) posted at www.motorcraftservice.com your fuse #1 is the one to check. If that is good and your blinkers actually blink, then the hazard switch is probably in need of cleaning or bad. if your blinkers don't actually blink, then it's the flasher that needs to be replaced in the fuse box.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM

The blinkers work fine. I checked the fuses a while ago and they were fine, I will look again though.

How do you get acess to the contacts? I have some electronic contact cleaner at home...

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM

I didn't even take anything apart... I just sprayed into the cracks in the button itself and into the blinker switch in the side of the steering column (we were having blinker issues too). you should only need to hose off the hazard switch though. actuate it as you spray it to help the cleaner get down in there and do it's job. if that doesn't work, you may have to take the column shroud off. usually all that is required for this is to take the bottom off and then the top will lift out with some wiggling. you may have to remove the knee plate (panel where your knees generally are - not sure that is the proper name for it). I'll double check my chiltons when I get home to make sure.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:12 PM

All fuses are good. I sprayed the contacts and nothing changed. I forgot to mention that my blinkers only work when the hazzard button is pushed down. When it is up my blinkers do nothing. The hazzards/flashers never work.

I see that the Lighting Control Module is in the fuse center, think maybe that is bad?

Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM

if the blinkers never flash either, then the flasher is dead (the round can looking thing in the fuse box). just replace that.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 AM

I think we are getting confused...

The blinkers work fine when the hazzard button is pushed down (when the hazzards are supposed to be working).

When the hazzard button is up absolutely nothing works.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM

oh ok. then there is most likely an issue with the hazard switch itself not engaging (off is down, on is up). Seems it's not connecting the circuit for the hazards to flash, but will switch the circuit from blinkers to hazards (aka, not supplying power to the hazard circuit).

you may have to replace the hazard switch. Hopefully I'll remember to take a look in my chiltons at the 96 electrical schematics and make sure.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM

from what I can tell, it looks like the hazard switch isn't getting power through it to the lighting control module but is making contact in the off state for normal blinker usage. you may have a disconnected wire, bad hazard switch, or a blown fuse 1. if the brake lights work, it's not the fuse.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:44 PM

Isn't normal off state when the button is up though?

The blinkers only work when the button is down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hazzards/Flashers Stopped Working