Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 PM

Howdy....

I just bought a 96 Marquis, and the only problem I have is the driver side headlight points waaaaaay too low. I can't find anything that resembles an adjustment screw.... can somebody point me in the right direction?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM

<A name=hd1-1-2>AIMING THE HEADLIGHTS</A>

On 1992-98 vehicles, the aerodynamically styled headlights necessitate the use of headlight aiming kit 107-00003 or equivalent. The adjustable aimer adapters provided in the kit must be used to aim the headlights. Adjustment aimer adapter positions are moulded into the bottom edge of the headlight lens. Set and lock the adjustable adapters, attach each adapter to its mechanical aimer and aim the headlights according to the instructions in the kit.

Headlight aim adjustment should be made with the fuel tank approximately half full, the vehicle unloaded and the trunk empty, except for the spare tire and jacking equipment. Make sure all tires are inflated to the proper pressure.

The headlights must be properly aimed to provide the best, safest road illumination. The lights should be checked for proper aim and adjusted as necessary. Certain state and local authorities have requirements for headlight aiming; these should be checked before adjustment is made.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Wow...straight out of the service manual. Thanks.

I guess now the appropriate question would be...Is there a way to adjust them without disassembling the light and buying parts? I mean, that is just rediculous....an aiming kit?!?!?! Talk about engineered to fail [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Yes there is.

According to my manuals, the mounting principal of headlights for model years 1992 through 1998 are the same.

This is not out of the manual, you can probably tell by the way I word it:

You should have 3 metal rods with treads, which run through your header panel. This is the mount for the headlights, and used for aiming.

The metal rod runs through the header panel, and on the other side you have a sort of rubber grommet sitting on it, which can be turned like a nut, except you do it by hand, as they are round and, well, rubber.

However, in order to restrict them from moving, a metal bracket is slid over it. In order to remove this bracket, you have to use nose pliers. Then you turn the rubber grommet, which will increase/decrease the distance between your headlight and the header panel.

Use the following diagrams to aim your lights:

For low beam:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/LowBeam.jpg[/img]

For high beam:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/HighBeam.jpg[/img]

After aiming, slide the metal brackets back over the rubber grommets to lock their position.

Voilą, you are all set.

Greetings!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:05 PM

Perfect!!! Thank you very much. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]