Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 AM

As much as i know with cars and such my latest issue has me scratching my head and biting a bullet.

My left turn signal is not working...Sounds simple right?? Wrong.

I replaced the flasher, fuse, bulbs. And nothing. It lights up but wont flash. But hazards work just fine.

My instincts turn to the switch itself but i want some input before i tear it all apart.

thanks

_cheeeeeers

Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92mercmadman
As much as i know with cars and such my latest issue has me scratching my head and biting a bullet.

My left turn signal is not working...Sounds simple right?? Wrong.

I replaced the flasher, fuse, bulbs. And nothing. It lights up but wont flash. But hazards work just fine.

My instincts turn to the switch itself but i want some input before i tear it all apart.

thanks

_cheeeeeers
&lt; src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/&gt; </>&lt; =text/&gt; _uacct = "UA-939292-45"; urchinTracker(); </>

I havn't had this MGM long, so I don't know about it. But I have woked on 2 different Buicks that had a bad habit of burning out the sockets in the turn signals.

Just like you I replaced the bulbs, checked the flashers, etc. and was going nuts until I noticed it.....

Look carefully at the contacts in the sockets and see if they are burnt. The Buicks actually melted sometimes....GM offered no reason, just sold me more sockets......[img]smileys/smiley13.gif[/img]
< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>Edited by: Elmer Fudd

Old 01-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Uh, that could be a tricky one.

Now when you said the left one was not working, I assume the whole left side? Also, without any other lights being on?

Then it is most likely your turn lever. It's directing power to the relais, which is then supposedly repeatedly on and off directing power to your turn signals.

I had a similar issue, including them not working at all, but flashers always worked. I cleaned 15 years of dust, works like a charm.

If you have this issue with the headlights on, it could be that you are drawing a bit of current from your maker lights.

But that only applies if your turn signals are kind of dim, and only for a short period of time, as the current wont be sufficient for the whole side.

The turn signals function on the MGM is strictly positive current. So you might have a bad ground, and creating a "replacement" ground through the marker lights.

I would check and clean the ground first, as this is the simplest way to do. Never less, before you go further, the exact condition of this issue happening is needed. There are way to many ways to go, and of course we try to narrow it down to the least amount of work/money involved, right?

Greetings!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 PM

correct you are 92xxx,

ok it doesnt change with or w/o lights on of any sorts.

the lights on the left side(turn signal lights) light up, but dont flash, either outside front and back and as well as the dash.

so....

help lol

Old 01-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Current finds its way, unwanted or not. [img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]

Another step in finding the cause: What if you press the brake pedal? Again, with and without lights on.

One brake light and turn signal share a bulb in the rear, we have to consider that you are drawing current power from there.

Remember, the brake light circuit is open and ready to go all the time. Your brake lights come on, even if the ignition is turned off. At least on mine and the ones I have seen so far.

What's happening there?

Greetings!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 AM

So, what's the current status? Update please!

Just ran into another fancy issue. My buddy lost all of his cluster lights at once, then the entire rear lights went out, only brake lights/turn signals are working.

Of course, fuses are fine. Now we are digging. Already found a "rusty" ground, but it didn't help. Electrics, always present, always entertaining. [img]smileys/smiley8.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

ok... this is what my car does when i have a bad bulb. say i have a bad bulb in the rear of the car... the indicator on the dash comes on and doesnt flash and other lights for that side dont flash. you have to go thru and compare one side of the car for lights to the other to see where the bad bulb is. i am guessing it is a rear bulb that the bright side of it isnt working.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM

Well, a bad bulb can easily be identified, it simply wont light up.

But that's not his issue. His are working, just not flashing.

BTW: if one of my turn signal bulbs is out, all other ones still flash, on the side with the bad bulbs rapidly, but they always work.

Yours is an older model, wouldn't surprise me if it was different on that.

Greetings!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

if it is a 2 way type bulb it will be tough to see if the brighter side of the bulb is out and dont work but dimer part does. 1992 was first year for the aero bodystyle and some stuff didnt change until part way thru the production year from the box versions. i know that the Transmission cable linkages and such for first part of 1992 is same as my car and different later in the year... so it all depends on production date.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Well, if you can't see the difference between the marker light or the turn signal, I recommend an eye doctor. LOL

The turn signal is many times brighter, so if it is out, it's easy to tell.

If it wasn't, there wouldn't be any reason to have turn signals at all, if you couldn't tell the difference, especially at night.

Greetings!