Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Help!!!! just bought this car... so many problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 01:09 AM
Default Help!!!! just bought this car... so many problems

Hello just join this forum and I hear these cars a great cars police and the taxes use these so I bought this 94,000 MI 2003 from a senior of course hahaha the car is in excellent physical condition except the check engine light just came on and the coil pack one was bad so I replaced it then the fuel filler was leaking which I heard was a recall about that so I can't feel the fuel all the way up to the top of the tank because it will leak from the filler neck and on top of this problem is the p1233 code for fuel module that just popped up and my headlights turn off at night automatically which I hear is a recall that I have to look into and my airbag light came on and my fuel cap dash light came on so today I noticed that my traction switch button is missing so my question is since the traction control switch button is missing and the plug is just hanging there behind the dash I guess somebody took it out with my car still be operable without that button or is that dangerous if the button is not there thank you

Old 10-26-2022, 05:08 AM

I have a 2003 myself. The only recall is for the replacement of the lighting control module affecting the headlights. Whether it is still ongoing, I do not know. I received my recall notice and had the LCM replaced about six years ago. No recall that I know of for the P1233. There may be TSB's to offer dealer technicians assistance but those are not paid repairs like a recall is.Things to look into for that code are the interia switch (maybe needs restting if a no start condition exists), faulty FPDM, FPDM wiring harness to the PCM or the fuel pump relay. I can tell you from my recent fuel pump failure is to look closely at the wiring at the gas tank. It is routed poorly and very easy for wiring to get damaged over time due to vibrations. I rerouted mine. No recalls on the EVAP or air bag systems either. I never used the traction control myself. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you or money to correct all those issues.

You can visit this site and enter your VIN # to see what recalls apply to your vehicle.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Last edited by raski; 10-26-2022 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by raski
I have a 2003 myself. The only recall is for the replacement of the lighting control module affecting the headlights. Whether it is still ongoing, I do not know. I received my recall notice and had the LCM replaced about six years ago. No recall that I know of for the P1233. There may be TSB's to offer dealer technicians assistance but those are not paid repairs like a recall is.Things to look into for that code are the interia switch (maybe needs restting if a no start condition exists), faulty FPDM, FPDM wiring harness to the PCM or the fuel pump relay. I can tell you from my recent fuel pump failure is to look closely at the wiring at the gas tank. It is routed poorly and very easy for wiring to get damaged over time due to vibrations. I rerouted mine. No recalls on the EVAP or air bag systems either. I never used the traction control myself. Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you or money to correct all those issues.

You can visit this site and enter your VIN # to see what recalls apply to your vehicle.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
thanks for the reply... I'll take those suggestions