Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

How do I install an IDLER ARM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Exclamation How do I install an IDLER ARM?

I went to Mavis for an alignment and the guy showed me the idler arm was bad and that he couldn't do the alignment unless it was repaired. It's very loose and I feel it in the steering. The guy at Mavis said he could get me the part for $250! I found it at Autozone for $35 It seems simple enough but I can't find any instruction on how to replace the arm myself. Can anyone help me please?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

you'll need a tie rod separator that will fit around the rod that the idler arm attaches to. that way you can take the nut off (there may be a cotter pin holding the nut on - you'll probably need another pin to replace that one with if it is there) and then hammer the separator in there to get the arm separated. then remove the bolts holding it to the frame and replace with the new one. Make sure to put the grease cover (the round rubber cap on where it's supposed to be before installing the new arm). tighten down the nut on the new arm good and tight and then grease it up through the fitting on the bottom (unless it's one of those sealed ones) and you're good to go.

I hope the sites don't mind the hot-linking...

here's a tie rod remover. find out the size of the bolt first so you'll know if the remover you get will go around it properly (it may be part of the new arm as well).

I suggest a 2.5 pound sledge as a hammer to use for this job. If it comes off easily, this can take a mere 30 minutes. if it was as stubborn as the last one I did, it could take upwards of an hour or so.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 AM

You can check w/AutoZone if you don't have the right tools, they will rent them to you in most stores. I personally will try a pitman arm puller first before resorting to the pickle fork and mini sledge. Good luck. Let us know how you did.