Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

I Might Have Gotten Some Water In Her Captain!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Default I Might Have Gotten Some Water In Her Captain!

Hey guys while I was driving I went in a big puddle of water big splashes and every thing. When i stopped i check the air box there was a couple drops but the air filter was barley damp. Ever since that I have always had my check engine light on and it went off? So my problem now is when i start the car and let it idle it sort of idles up and down. its never a constant some times it stays constant for a little bit. And when I shift from Park to Drive the idle lowers to almost a stall and then some times it will level out, it stalled a couple of times putting it in Reverse. So if any one can help me out this is a big problem for me as I love this car I think I might have gotten some water in the oil like 1 or 2 drops or something. But I do remember when I open the hood to check i saw water dripping from the inside of the hood onto the engine and herd some thing short when it dripped on the air flow sensor. Maybe its a electrical problem since my check idiot light went off? Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

could be coincidence... it is after all a 20+ year old car. i would reset the system by disconnecting negative cable and pushing brake pedal then reconnecting the battery. after reconnecting, start car and dont touch anything. the system needs 5 minutes according to the book to learn the idle and system again. the idle issue can be caused from failing IAC since when disconnected it drops idle to stall or close to it, the air density on passenger side by firewall will make the car run like crap too. it could also be the distributor also by the fact the TFI module could be going bad. i had this problem before with a car in the past, but instead of fixing since i wasnt gonna have long i kinda cheated. i pulled the spout connector and it ran fine. i dont suggest this, like i said, i only did this because i had 3 other panthers and it was turned to parts.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:05 PM

ha i was driving it yesterday and it was still being a stubborn bitch then when i got pissed i put the foot down as soon as i stopped for the red light the engine light came on and started to idle fine. . . . . maybe water dried up some where?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

2 reasons engine light comes on...

overheating

low oil pressure

main reason its a good idea to get gauges in these cars. the check engine light (CEL, change engine light) only lets you know of to problems in these cars.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 PM

huh? well even if i start the car in the morning it's always on ALL THE TIME so i don't think it's over heating but maby low oil pressure what can i do to fix that? what if its a leaking vacume line?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

if possible.. take a picture of the light... i wanna make sure it is the light i think it is...

if it is the one that turns on only when over heating or low oil pressure... change oils...

what oil do you use? i myself us valvoline 10w40 in summer and 10-30 in winter for the colder starts...

like i said... try to get a picture of the light so i know which it is and i can help easier...

Old 07-16-2009, 12:03 PM

i don't really have a camera but its the one to the bottom left that is orange ill try to take a pic with my phone but it will look like crap and i use 5W30 but i'm starting to put is Castrol GTX Hight Milage

Old 07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

use a thicker oil... that will help... the firing order of the stock 5.0L in our cars is hard on lower bearings

Old 07-19-2009, 11:15 AM

What brand and grade do you recommend. I know this engine is 20 years and counting but I would like it to last a long time till I get enough cash to buy a Windsor.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:40 PM

I prefer Castrol GTX High Mileage personally. 10W30/40 is what is recommended, but 20W50 may be needed on higher wear engines. I still use 10W30 since mine isn't leaking or making obnoxious noises either.

Quick Reply: I Might Have Gotten Some Water In Her Captain!