Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

I need more power!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Default I need more power!!

I have come to the conclusion that my 1993 mgm is not fast enough... any one have any ideas of what i could do to help my problem... thanks...

Old 09-17-2009, 06:07 PM

It really depends on what the car has now and what your budget is. dual exhaust and a cold air intake would help to start with. custom dual exhaust would be better. or you could do a complete engine swap and hood mods to get a V10 in there with twin turbos like the car in this thread.

Last edited by slymer; 09-17-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: goofed the url
Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Exactly what Slymer mentioned.. How fast can you afford to go?? Exhaust & cold air intake will be your best bang for the buck. Performance chips and gear swaps woudl be next on the list.. V10 would definitely do it.. The 5.4 is another option as they fit rather easily with the van intake.. Even the 4.6's from '99 up pack a few more ponies with their better cams, heads, and intakes...

Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 PM

ive already put dual exhaust on it and i dont wanna switch motors... i basically wanna do things to it with out switching motors... what kind of chip could i put on it and how much would that be? i have thought about the intake but i havent done that yet... about how much are they?

Old 09-18-2009, 03:57 PM

do the intake first. the chip won't help much at all without getting more/cooler air into the engine. The programmer will run you about $250 or so. Jet Performance makes the one I've seen. I would also suggest replacing that big plastic chamber of an intake hose on top of the engine with a nice shaped (mandrel bent) pipe (aluminum). it will really help with the airflow. I would really like to do that to my wife's 93 vic, but I would need to put a locker in the rear end so she would feel confident enough to drive it on wet days (she's not real happy about fish tailing, and in that car, corners on wet roads can be a little too fun).

Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 AM

how much would it cost to put a intake on it? the programmer is another name for a chip right?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM

The chip is what is in the engine control computer. The programmer gives the chip new ideas on things to make it run better. some of the later EEC-IV chips were reprogrammable. Maybe they all were... but there is options for your car. check the product I found via google here.

the off-the shelf intakes cost around $150-200 (seeing around $170-185 for your model for the one that AFE makes). Google is your friend here. just search for your year, make, and model and follow it with "cold air intake" and you should get some results to choose from.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 PM

My bad, yes you would use a programmer on your car... Some earlier models required replacing a chip in the engine computer, but by 92 they were reprogrammable...

A shift kit for the transmssion does wonders too.. It doesn;t really increase power, it improves the usage of the power you got...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:58 PM

i guess ill be putting a programmer and a clod air intake on it soon then ,,, thanks for the help guys...

Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 AM

It doesn't hurt to replace your spark plugs and wires, too. The more fuel you burn, the more oomph you got. Dont skimp here.

Clean out your car. I know for a fact all the crap in the backseat and the trunk really weighs you down. I was doing some fuel efficiency calculations and I constantly read 18mpg. I cleaned out my car and got 20!

Quick Reply: I need more power!!