Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Default Ignition problem

Hello,

my name is David and I live in Spain. I have a grand marquis '84 with the 5.0l engine which does not start. Has all the electrical installation of the engine rebuilt, with joints and cut wires. I've gotten it to work everything, but still does not start. Anyone could spend the ignition wiring diagram?

Thank you very much.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:21 PM

I have a diagram in a repair manual but no way to scan it to send to you.

Does the starter motor crank? If not, check the ignition and battery/starter cables on the starter solenoid thats mounted on the top inside of the passenger side wheel well. If the starter does crank, the problem is probably the ignition mudule mounted to the underside of the distributor body. These modules are notorious for overheating and stop working. I have to replace mine every few years. Check the wire/plug connections on the plug that plugs into the ignition module flat pins also.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:13 AM

The starter turns. I check the ignition and battery/starter cables on the starter solenoid, but the engine donīt start.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 PM

OK, then I would suspect the TFI ignition module that's mounted to the underside of the distributor. Usually, these modules quit after running with the engine at normal running temperature, then turning the engine off. The surge in heat rising up from the hot motor is what usually kills the module. But, they have been known to quit even cold.

I have some info I might be able to dig up on testing the TFI with a volt meter. I'll get back when I can find the info.

Another thing to check is the computer power relay that turns power on to the computer with the key on run or start. This relay (in a 1985) is mounted next to the fuel pump relay on the top driver's side fender well. When the key is turned to run, the relay should be heard clicking on. The fuel pump relay should also click on at the same time.
Another thing to check is the fuel pump in the tank. When the key is turned to run, a slight huming sound should come from the gas tank, then stop in a second or two when the fuel line presurizes (it comes back on and stays on when the motor is running.

These are the most probable causes besides the battery and its cables.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Hello, thanks for your help.

After removing the air filter, the car passed it to the carburetor. I think the problem will be the ignition module. How I can check if it fails?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:58 PM

Hello,

After removing the air filter, have taken the injection and have a carburetor.

What system ignition I can put to eliminate the ECU?? Magneto system??

Thanks You.

Name:  IMG_0614.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  130.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0611.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0610.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0608.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  156.7 KB

Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Hello,

we have a program called autodata consisting of the car wiring diagrams, technical data, fault codes, etc.. Do you know of one for this car?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM

I'm still looking for the TFI information (just moved here from another part of my country) so hang in there. Its a simple test that only requires a volt meter.

I'm afraid you will have to stick with the system you have without going into a massive change-over. Your problem is simple to fix (if that wiring is done correctly) Or you can go to a parts store and buy a new module with the special screw tool needed to remove/install it.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:40 PM

I have been advised to mount a GM HEI distributor to cancel the ECU. what reference I can mount? There are several references

Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM

David - Looking at your pictures, it appears your carburation system is different than mine (85) and does not appear to be a fuel injected system as mine is. Looking up your year in a repair manual, your engine could have one of three ignition systems and maybe not what I have been assuming. If so, I don't have the knowledge to troubleshoot a different system with any confidence.

Perhaps another member can check in and offer some more useable adviice.

Quick Reply: Ignition problem