Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Just got an 88. Convertable conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM

So i picked up a burgandy 88 with 70,000 miles on it. almost mint condition. i was considering taking a saw to it, and making it a convertable. we are still discussing on if the windshield will have enough support, but i think that it has more than enough. i''m planning on leaving about 2 inches of the roof behind it, but other than that... Would this idea work? I l live in phoenix, and everywhere i go is covered parking, so rain will not get in my way. i was wanting to ask if this is possible in a GM. how much metal will i intend to go through to take the top off? if an air saw wont go through any supporting metals, i will not do it, i just want to make sure before i saw a little to find out.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

thank you guys, good to be on the forum.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 PM

A sawzall will work just fine. If you are talking about an air saw, it is basically the same. the sawzall will just be faster and easier. When you say an 88, do you mean an oldsmobile 88? is this a four door car?

Remember.. a saw will do the job you want to do without any problems. It will cut it like butter. if this is a four door car then I would think twice about it because the pillars are for support and line up the rear and front doors and it uses the roof for support. Cuting off the top on a 4 doort will affect the door alignment over a period of time.

If this is a 2 door car.. then Rock on brother..Post some pictures for everyone to see your dare to be different car. i would use a grinder to the edges when you are done to clean it up a bit so there are no sharp edges.

DON''T FORGET TO POST SOME PICTURES DUDE WHEN YOU ARE DONE

before and after pictures

Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 AM

it is a 4 door. i have considered the fact that the doors will not be lined up over time, as well as the interior fading much quicker, and the depreciation and all that. but i will be the final owner, and i think it will be much worth it. so a sawzall will go through it? i don''t have any problem support beams to worry about cutting through?

i will definitely post pictures before and after. it looks like once i get a hold of a saw it will be done asap[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2008, 02:34 PM

It will work great and take you about 30 minutes to do the job. There are no support beams. the only support is the windshield frame and the pillars. You will probably cut the wire for the interior light. make sure it does not get grounded to the metal after you cut it or you could get a electrical short. It is only one wire and usually ran under the trim around the windshield and underr the head liner

I would tape off the area and use it as a line to follow when you are cutting. this will keep squiggly lines to a miniumn.

Good luck and post before and after pics!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 PM

did it turn out?

POST SOME PICKS, I AM EXCITED TO SEE THIS IN A CONVERTABLE