New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

HEY! Just got my 97 Cougar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Default HEY! Just got my 97 Cougar

So new here. My step mom bought a 500 when they came out and gave my dad her Cougar and he gave me his Mustang Conv.. I had a Protege at the time but hell an extra car why not? So Mustang is dead and now he bought a 2010 F-150 so I was once again I got another free car. Do have some problems with the interior so if anyone else has had some with the fabric?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:00 AM

rule of thumb: headliners drop. end of story. only a matter of time.
seams split with lots of use and high heat areas (especially vinyl and tight leather)
Thin leather wears out and peels.
cloth seats tend to do better, but can also split the seams and wear out with rough use.
The only problem I don't have with the fabric in my 88 MGM is the splits on the seats. Probably due to the plush styling of it. The headliner is dropping... the visor is almost naked, the a-panels in the rear are falling apart, and the vinyl top is discolored and cracking a little. Granted, my car is almost 10 years older, but still. with older cars come these issues.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Question

What problems do you have with the interior?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 AM

droopy headliner, rear A panels coming unglued, visors peeling, and the dash pad is cracking. Basically anything that is fabric glued on to something, it's coming off. (the visors are actually sewn into the cardboard, but the fabric just fell apart at that seam.)

Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Default Interior

I have a sunroof and the headliner does not droop but it does wave around whenever the windows or sunroof is open and namely during the colder days. But unable to use stick-um because the way the roof is. Passenger side door with the fabric was coming off so I used some stick-um and a butter knife and tucked it back. The seat leather is wearing but I'm looking at putting wool covers on it until I can get the seats redone. I'm wanting to have the seats in the tan they are already in but with red suede to match the exterior and have the piping done in the dark brown that the dash is in. I am going to replace the head unit and the speakers but trying to find out if the rear speakers are 6x9 or 5x8 and the doors if 5 or 6. The parents did not wax the car at all so I'm trying to figure out if I should use a clay bar to fix the paint or just leave as is until next year and have the car repainted. It's fine but you can see were it will fade. Also some little ****head shot the passenger side near the Cougar emblem with a pellet gun. My father thinks he knows who did it but he never did anything about it. I would have shot the kid...SEVERAL TIMES> Thanks