Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

MAF cross-reference

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM

I need a Mass Air Flow Sensor. Does anybody know what ones will work on a 1992 MGM? Also, when I hooked the car to a computer to test it and pull the codes off it the MAF didn''''t register at all. 0.00 was the reading and it wasn''t throwing any trouble codes. Any idea about that?
Edited by: MItoplock

Old 08-24-2008, 01:50 PM

Yes, was the car running or the key to run position when you tested it? Check the connection and see if volts are going through it as you disconnect the sensor. I think you just mistested it. Also whay do you think you need a MAF? i am just asking because it can be something else.

It is best to get a 1992 MAF. Remanufactured ones are junk. They will be a world of problems for you and you really only save a little money on them.

They sell MAF cleaner. it is not throttle body cleaner. throttle body cleaner will harm the sensor. Make sure it is MAF cleaner. it is about 6.00 a can and can be used years. Do not use the entire can on this. A little goes a long way.clean the maf and trhe connectors. The connectors should be cleaned with electrical connection cleaner.

If the MAF was not working at all the car would die as soon as you pressed on the gas or run super choppy.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM

When I disconnected the MAF it changed nothing on how the car runs. Plus it is cracked. The car will shudder at low acceleration. The car was running and not running during the test also.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM

Are you getting volts to the MAF connection?

Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 PM

Yes, power is getting to the MAF connection via wiring harness.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:15 AM

These MAF are tricky. It would be easy for me to say go and buy a new one. I am not totally convienced that it is the problem. What are you checking the sensor with, a scan tool ot volt meter? does the thing you are using plug directly into the sensor or are you readings comming from the OBD port? You need both for this,especially if it is just dirty. This is because it is still sending the signal but dirty enough to make it run bad and enough to get a bad reading.

It really depends on how fast you need you car. It would be cheaper to get the new part then to pay someone to look atit and there price for the part.without me looking at it I think that you might be better offf getting a new sensor. I would first try to clean out the MAF male connector. you are probably testing the female connector. you should still get some resistence from the MAF when it is disconnected. If you get no resistence on The MAF even when no power is hooked up, then go and get a new one.

I am sorry if I am wishwash on this but I really do not know if you are checking this correctly. I have checked them wrong before. I replaced a customersand then the remanufactured MAF was worse then the original unit. the original unit really was not bad and it just need to be cleaned.

change it or clean it and let us know if it worked.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 AM

First we used the computer at the shop which showed no activity from the MAF via OBD port, but threw no bad codes. Then I checked the connections with a volt meter, to find that the wiring harness is sending to the MAF. The resistance on the MAF was very low and changed if you tapped on the MAF it''s self. But the plastic on the MAF is cracked so needs changing anyways. Going to get one off ebay due to the junk yard here thinks they have gold.lol. The junk yard wants $65 for one and you can get one from autozone for $70. But I picked one up off ebay for $23 with shipping, and that is the airbox, MAF, and the temp. sensors.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM

good job. usually if you tap it it means a bad or dirty connection. clean those out when you put on the new one

Old 09-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Well I finally put the new MAF on and it fixed my idling problem. Still need to hook it up to the computer to see if it picks it up though.