Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

missing and backfiring after warm up

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM

I have a 1992 MGM, and it is running odly. What it is doing is this, when it is cold it runs perfect, no backfires , no missing and plenty of power. Then it starts to warm up on the gauge, basicaly the gauge just starts to move and all hell breaks through. It starts to feel like its missing going down the road and you can hear what sounds like backfiring coming thruogh the intake and I loose power in the engine. The check engine light will come on after it warms up, but if you shut the car off it will go out untill you drive some more. The code I''''m getting is for the EGR. I changed bboth EGR sensors and the EGR valve tube, and I changed the EGR valve two times thinking maybe I got a bad one. I also get what sounds like valve knock ( this comes and goes). Anybody run into this issue and if so what was it? I''''m running out of ideas about what the problem is.Edited by: MItoplock

Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 AM

which code exactly are you getting? if the code is the recirculation code, then you probably have to take the egr recirculation pipe off and clean it out because it is clogged with carbon build up. I had to do this with my wife''s 1993 vic 2 years ago. We did not however have the power loss issue, just the MIL. You may also have some bad oxygen sensors (not sure if you meant these by EGR sensors).

Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 AM

I checked the o2 sensors before I started messing with the EGR.

Here is the list of EGR parts that were changed ( I think it is all the EGR parts)

*EGR Vacuum Solenoid

*EGR Valve

*EGR Pressure Sensor

*EGR Orfic Tube

* All Vacuum Lines

Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM

another guy here had an issue with his head gaskets sealing when cold, but not when warm. You may be having the same issue. Only his was blowing into the coolant and causing the cap to blow off the reclaim tank. Yours may be blowing off under the intake manifold.

now if that''s not the issue, have you checked the ignition system (wires, plugs, coils, -did the 92 have a distributor?- cap/rotor, ignition module, capacitor - you''d know this one if your radio buzzes along with the engine speed). There may also be a ported vacuum switch issue. not sure if that model used the thermal vacuum switches or not. Haven''t had to look through my wife''s 93 vic much in that regard. They''re essentially the same under the hood.

also, I just changed the fuel filter on my 88 and it runs much better when warm now. have you changed the fuel filter recently/ever?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM

I''ve pressure checked the engine to see if there was any leaks, also have changed the oil. There is no coolent getting in the oil or vis versa. I have''nt lost any oil or coolent either. I was thinking of changing the fuel filter though. When I put the motor in last May that was one thing I forgot to change. But as for the plugs and wires are new and I also pulled them and check them, all ok. I think I might have to bite the bullit on this and goto ther ford dealer and see if they can find the problem. I just hate paying them $80 to hook their computer up to the car

Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 AM

yeah, definitely change the fuel filter then. You might check your battery and see if it is dropping a cell after things warms up. That could cause havoc too.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Still nothing. I changed the fuel filter, pvc valve, and Camshaft Position Sensor. Just can''t find the problem.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM

I recommend to have it checked out at the dealership.

It sounds like the EGR valve, which controls the air/fuel mixture when cold and warm.

There are just too many parts involved in having your car running, especially due to emission control. I just had to find out that my SUV has a "Barometic pressure sensor". Go figure.

Nobody wants to spend money unless necessary, but the dealership is trained and should be able to to their upmost to narrow down the cause.

Greetings!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Well here is where the problem was. The intake was full of crud, to where you could''nt see it. It would warm up and loosen the slim and then go and block the egr valve. But it cost just over $200 and is back to running like new. They pulled the intake off and cleaned it out.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 PM

ah... the old "it''s full of crap" problem. at least it will give you many more years of gunk free air now.