Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

New car after a Grand Marquis?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 05:48 AM

Those Alloy Rims are out there to be had used pretty cheap if you look for them. I even have a complete extra set of them without Center Caps that I pickup up cheap about 10 years ago just in case I damaged one with the many Pot Holes during the winter time in NJ. You won't find them looking like mine in the photo on the cheap. Just about all of them that you will fine will look like crap because the Clearcoat on the wheels has gone bad. Not a problem though because even mine on the car got that way. All one needs to do is strip the clear coating off the front of the wheels and buff them up by hand using Semi-Chrome or something equivalent. McGuires makes a product that comes in a can that is very good. Could also do it by machine if you have buffers. Did mine all by hand by wet sanding them with 400 and finally 600 and took my time. You will need to wet sand them especially if the previous owner used wheel weights on the outside of the rim as it breaks through the clearcoat and starts the wheels to corrode in that area. In those areas you will need 320 or 280 Wet Sandpaper. They can once again look like Chrome but you will need to keep them up if the car is left outside in the weather that is why clearcoat was a good idea but it doesn't hold up very long out in the weather either. One other thing I quit using Michelin Tires on my car like it came with because they crack in the sidewall. Everyone of them eventually and they leak through the sidewall. I put a full set of Yokohama tires on the car about a year or so ago being we had some experience with them on another car. I find them to be better tires then the Michelin. My experience with them I have never seen them crack in the sidewall like Michelins do and they look good on the car and grip the road just as well as the Michelin.

Last edited by ffas23; 05-07-2021 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Add on
Old 01-08-2021, 06:58 PM
Default Yamaha Tires ??

You have just convinced me that I LOVE the wheels I have, and will find good tires that fit them.
You say the Michelin tires that came on your 2000 Marquis have sidewall cracks ??
How old were those tires before they developed the cracks ?? There is a 4-digit code on the OUTSIDE
of the tire that tells the WEEK of the YEAR of manufacture. Example: 3101 = thirty-first week of 2001.
I find it odd that Michelin tires develop cracks and leak through the sidewalls. I have owned several sets of Michelins,
the first set was on a 1963 Renault R-8 from the factory. Always excellent service in every way.
You mentioned YAMAHA tires. I've heard of Yamaha pianos, Yamaha motorcycles, and Yamaha guitars,
but I din't know they made tires, too. I'll have to try to keep up. ;>
I'm lookin' at COOPER (made in U.S.A.) tires for my next set, which I will get this Spring.
Check out Tirerack.com for the most informative facts, prices, graphs, charts, test results, and rankings
of many, many brands and sizes of tires.

Front Brakes - Eclipse Calipers; Motorcraft Police Pads; ACDelco Drilled&Slotted Rotors; ESI-6 Brake Fluid; Raybestos Hoses.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 02-15-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by GS37
Well, back in the '90s, my Ford Crown Vic was great. And now, my '99 Grand Marquis has been even greater. So, since they're both discontinued now, what is my next logical choice for a new dependable American car in the future? Yep, I could always buy a used 2010 or 2011 Marquis. (I can't see myself driving a Taurus, though....)
I also have a '99 Grand Marquis (155k) and love it, but was faced with the "new" car decision when we learned that once a car is more than 20 years old, we can't get collision coverage on Mexican auto insurance when we drive to Mazatlan. I ended up buying an '08 Town Car with 37k on it. Just delaying the inevitable.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:49 AM
Default Keep 'er -- It's Cheaper !

If you're happy with your Grand Marquis, KEEP IT !!
When ya wanna go to Mazatlan, RENT a car for that time -- like my Wife and I used to do when going to the BAJA or to the Mexican mainland.
It worked out great for us -- a brand-new car, and no worries -- made for many enjoyable trips to a beautiful country.

Classic Style -- Relaxed Comfort -- Modern Performance.

Old 05-07-2021, 04:38 AM

I just happened back on this forum this early morning. I apologize I meant Yokohama Tires not Yamaha. Who knows what I was thinking when I typed my post. For a matter of fact I just purchased another set of 2 Yokohama tires a few weeks ago for another vehicle of mine.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:43 AM
Default Yokohama Tires

Originally Posted by ffas23
I just happened back on this forum this early morning. I apologize I meant Yokohama Tires not Yamaha. Who knows what I was thinking when I typed my post. For a matter of fact I just purchased another set of 2 Yokohama tires a few weeks ago for another vehicle of mine.
It's all good, man -- I kinda thought you meant "Yokohama Tires", which made me do some research on them, and found that they have all the characteristics that I need. I'll be replacing the 95MERC's tires soon, and MAY opt for the Yokohamas.
In the case of your Michelins -- the "cracks" in the sidewalls were NOT a sign of a defective or poorly-made tire -- they are a result of AGE -- exposure to ozone and sunlight has caused the deterioration of the sidewalls.
All tires now have the date of manufacture on the sidewall -- a 4-digit number that tells the week and year that the tire was made.
Tire manufactirers recommend replacement after SIX (6) years.

95 MERC Engine Bay

Old 05-08-2021, 03:08 PM

You are right about age having to do a lot with cracks but I have had a lot of experience with Michelin Tires going back to the late 60's. They always seem to get cracks in the sidewall way before other brands do that I have seen. I love the Yokohama's on my Mercury Marquis that I put all around. They look really good and drive really nice and you can buy them at a much better price then the Michelins half the price. That and the fact they are made in the USA believe it or not. I purchased the Yokohama Avid Touring-S All-Season Tire for my Merc. If you have a means to mount them you can also buy them from Walmart and they will ship them to you free of charge. That is what I did recently and Walmart had the best price on them. Previously I had them shipped to me for my Merc by a Tire Company when I got them a year or so ago for my Merc. This last time less then a month ago I got a set of 2 for a '87SS Monte Carlo I own that I don't drive much as I am in the process of restoring it being Walmart had the better price online. I had BF Goodrich on them with the Black Walls sticking out. I always liked the BF Goodrich TA Tires but they have doubled in price. They are white letter tires but I never showed the White Letters outside anyway. Well the Yokohama's believe it or not were half the price based on what Walmart charged. I got 2 Yokohama's for the price of one BF Goodrich TA in the size 215/65R15 95S. The kicker the Yokohama's are 60k miles tires. The BF Goodrich are 40K mile tires. Although I still have 2 newer BF Goodrich on the front of the '87 SS Monte Carlo with the 2 Yokohama's I am experimenting with in the rear so to say the car feels great and the Yohohama's to me look just as good from the side of the car. It all started out with me buying 2 Yokohama's probably about 6 years ago for my wife's Intrepid for the front being it needed tires. That car takes the exact same tire size as my 2000 Mercury Marquis. They impressed me so much and with seeing the cracking on the side walls happening on the Mercury Marquis like I always saw with Michelin tires I made the move to Yokohama. You won't go wrong and will probably thank me for letting you know if you do the same. Just remember to check out the Yokohama Avid Touring All Season Tire.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:06 AM
Default Wrong Tires, but they were Cheap !

About those tires:
You say: " I got 2 Yokohama's for the price of one BF Goodrich TA in the size 215/65R15 95S. "
The "215/65R15" is the wrong size, and the "95S" is the wrong load range and speed range.
Tires for your Grand Marquis should be 215/70R/15, with a "98" load range and a "T" speed designation.
You got a "good price" because Walmart sold you an inferior tire.
Yokohama has the right tire for your car -- Yokohama AVID ASCEND LX 215/70R/15 98T -- With a UTOG rating of 800 (EXCELLENT!) and only roughly 100 bucks each at most places.
I plan to get 4 of the Yokohama tires soon -- The AVID Ascend LX , in the 215/70R/15 size, UTOG of 800, and a 98T speed/load rating.
The biggest mistake that people make when purchasing tires is to buy by the price -- it's NEVER a good idea.
Find the RIGHT tire for your car BEFORE you go shopping, and get THAT tire at the best price that you can find.
Remember, the guy at at the Tire Shop Counter is NOT THERE TO HELP YOU GET THE RIGHT TIRE -- he's there to get you to buy what he has in stock.
Lots of good, solid tire information at "Tire Rack" and "Consumer Reports" -- See for yourself.

Colorado Rte. 82 - East of Aspen, Colorado -- 12,095' -- Highest Driveable Pass in USA.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 05-09-2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Content
Old 05-09-2021, 07:12 PM

95 Merc you must be a speed reader that you didn't remember what I wrote above. I said Quote: Previously I had them shipped to me for my Merc by a Tire Company when I got them a year or so ago for my Merc. This last time less then a month ago I got a set of 2 for a '87SS Monte Carlo I own that I don't drive much as I am in the process of restoring it being Walmart had the better price online. I had BF Goodrich on them with the Black Walls sticking out. I always liked the BF Goodrich TA Tires but they have doubled in price. They are white letter tires but I never showed the White Letters outside anyway. Well the Yokohama's believe it or not were half the price based on what Walmart charged. I got 2 Yokohama's for the price of one BF Goodrich TA in the size 215/65R15 95S. The kicker the Yokohama's are 60k miles tires.End Quote: The size I listed was for my '87 SS Monte Carlo which is correct 215/65R15 95S. Same as the BF Goodrich that just about everyone with a restored SS 80's restored Monte Carlo usually puts on their car. Many out there use them for their Street Rods and Restored Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's. I put the same Yokohama Avid Touring S all around my 2000 Mercury Marquis in the size P225/60R16 97S with a UTQG: 620 A B. They are 60k mile tires. Did that maybe 2 years ago already. One of the many tires Tire Rack list to fit my 2000 Mercury Marquis. They are getting $100 and change each for them as of 5/9/21. Trust me you would be happy with them. Before you buy maybe you can find a Walmart or another tire store where you could go and take a look at them. Both Tire Rack and Yokohama show this tire to fit my 2000 Mercury Marquis without a problem. Enclosing 2 photo's from Yokohama's Website

Last edited by ffas23; 05-09-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:08 AM
Default Radial Tires

Sorry for the confusion -- Too much information -- 2000 Marquis was the subject -- not Monte Carlo.
Now, that we've finally settled on your 2000 Mercury, we can see what you actually have on your car.
" size P225/60R16 97S with a UTQG: 620 A B. They are 60k mile tires."
From Tire Rack:
Yokohama AVID Ascend LX

Size: 225/60R16 98H
Style: Blackwall
Eco Focus: BluEarth
Serv. Desc: 98H
UTQG: 800 A A
---------------------------------------------------------------
Your tires are "97S", compared to the "98H", which has a higher load and speed capacity.
Your tires are "620 AB", compared to the "800 AA", which has a much longer tread life, and a higher temperature rating.
This particular Yokohama tire tested BEST in it's class on the Tire Rack Chart.
Advertised at $113 dollars each at Tire Rack -- today, 5/10/21.
I will be buying 4 of these -- if they make 'em in my size.
Way back in the '60s, I took a training course given by Pirelli Tire of Italy -- Radial Tire Construction and Performance.
I have used that knowledge to help others get the best from their conventional and off-road tires.
Sometimes, people don't listen.
Too bad for them.

Sleeping Beauty, Rolling Thunder

Quick Reply: New car after a Grand Marquis?