Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Offroad Grand Marquis

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Default Offroad Grand Marquis

Hello, I am a new car owner and I have a 2003 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition that I recieved after my great-grandfather passed away. My dad is always complaining on how the car is "too low" (stock suspension) and is "meant for old people", so my mom and I want to make it awesome and unique and definitely not for old people. My mom and I want to turn my car into a car that can go off-roading because my car will stand out and be really fun to drive. So I was mostly wondering if any of you could provide me links to good lift kits for my car (not for donks because I want good offroad ride quality) and what is the biggest wheel tire setup I can run on stock height. I am thinking a 15 inch wheel with a 33 inch tire. Not certain though. Thanks for any answers you guys and gals can provide.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Hello, ShirkCole, and welcome to the forum.
Grand Marquis have a reputation as being "for old people" because that's who buys them. Geezers have been around a long time, and they know what sort of vehicle meets their needs.
I'm a geezer -- be 80 on my next birthday.
I drive a '95 Grand Marquis restoration that I restored myself. I modified it to suit my needs as a long-distance, hi-speed touring car -- because that's what sort of performance that I require today.
I WAS a serious off-roader several years ago, and I modified my vehicle to reflect my needs.
I can tell you from years of experience that building an off-road Grand Marquis is NOT a good idea.
Insufficient ground clearance -- Limited wheel travel -- No fender clearance for larger tires -- Differential Gear ratio too high -- Needs locking differential.
Here is my '95 Merc -- alongside my 4-wheeler.

Attached Thumbnails Offroad Grand Marquis-95-merc-flaming-gorge.jpg   Offroad Grand Marquis-atop-mt.-union.jpg   Offroad Grand Marquis-ridin-high.jpg  
Attached Images