Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Pulled Over - Is this Probable Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Default Pulled Over - Is this Probable Cause?

My 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. Split bench seat.

Seat belts are not required in my state for anyone over the age of 18. Yes, there is still one state that does not mandate seat belt usage. We also have no mandated helmet law for motorcycles.

But please I don't wish a debate about the usage or non usage of seat belts. That is for another post.

Three of us in front seat. Me- the driver - and friend and his wife. Wife sitting in middle. She is a very small thin person. We are not wearing seat belts.

Mr. New Rookie parked at other side of rotary (roundabout). I drive around - and a few seconds later one of my passengers states that blue lights are on from behind.

I pull over. The young police officer asks the question: "Is this car equiped with 3 seat belts in the front?". I state in return "Yes".

The young rookie does NOT ask to view the seat belts. He just asks for license and registration. And goes back to his cruiser and does a complete background check on me, my license, my registration.

About 10 minutes later he comes back and gives me my license and registration and states: "Thank you. Have a nice day".

Any paralegals out there? Was there legal probable cause for this stop?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

the officer was probably looking at it as a safety concern. thinking that the seat was overloaded with people. think of it as if people getting pulled over for 4 people in the back seat, or kids that are in areas of a vehicle without restraints...