Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Rear Glass - Insurance recommended

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Here''s a good one.

My rear window shattered the other day. [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

Now we all know what''s next, getting quotes. Most internet quotes for the MGM are fake ones (different company names, but the same company), once called, they tell you that "it is not available". Not available? My dealer confirmed that the glass is identical from 1992 through at least 2005.

Anyhow, called different glass companies, nationwide and local. Same answer everywhere. Rear glass w/o defrost (cheaper) unavailable. With defrost, yes, prices anywhere from $580 to $780. Excuse me? [img]smileys/smiley29.gif[/img]

So I contacted my insurance to see if they might through in some on a complimentary basis, which they didn''t (they don''t have to). But they told me about their contractor (Safe-Lite).

Besides signing up for Comprehensive (premium is $9, don''t say, yes, I could kick myself for not having it in the first place [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]), I got the phone number and called Safe-Lite.

They quoted $400, so about $180 cheaper than the best offer I had. I placed the order, and supposedly was getting the glass installed 2 days later.

I said supposedly, cause you can not trust what they say. Got a call today (day of installation). Glass is currently unavailable, but they found a dealer who has one in Chicago. Could be here as early as tomorrow.

I checked on a front windshield. $200 installed, and supposedly in stock pretty much everywhere I called.

So my journey continues. I might get it tomorrow, but you never know. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Greetings!

Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 PM

You never know, and am glad to always expect the unexpected.

Got a call, the glass arrived. But, the molding was missing. Dealer said he called the supplier to check their shipping boxes, but they couldn''t find it. He asked them to ship it to him, but they told him it comes with the glass, he would have to re-order glass in order to get another one.

The dealer is mad about this, as he is unable to serve his customer and appologized many times. I told him that it was not his fault, there''s nothing he can do.

No wonder this country is going downhill.

We''re supposed to get our first snow Monday, I guess it''s time to put the MGM into storage. Which makes me think, I could cancel the order and worry about it in May next year .....

Greetings!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:37 AM

No wonder the food chain is almost as bad as the Parts Supply Chain: never really can count on getting what you order...

WheelMaster [img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]

[img]uploads/WheelMaster/93FordCrownLtdInt.jpg[/img]

Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Yep.

Worse: According to my dealer, the rear glass is identical at least through model year 1997 and first few months of 1998.

Still no glass. Car is in storage now, we had the first snow last night, so the SUV is back on line.

Makes me think: I should cut the roof of and make it a 4-door convertible. Wouldn''t that be cool? (not in Northern Indiana though).

Greetings!