Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Replace Stock Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
Default Replace Stock Radio

I was looking into replacing my stock radio in the 1993 Grand Marquis.

I've installed an aftermarket audio system before, but I can't find the DIN kit for the car. It seems like it wouldn't need one, but the opening is just a little taller and wider than a regular aftermarket stereo.

Can anyone help me find a kit?

Old 08-08-2009, 04:39 PM

most din radios come with a sleeve to mount in the opening. My wife's 93 vic uses that with the Kenwood I put in it. I'm sure that should be the same for the GM too. If the metal sleeve should just slide in and then take a flat screwdriver to it and bend out the little tabs to hold it in place (the more the better if you want it to stay put really well). The Kenwood sleeve has a good 2 dozen or so little tabs to help it fit just near any din opening.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:33 PM

I have a 1993 grand marquis as well and i got a aftermarket cd dvd player and i couldnt find the piece your looking for either but i customized mine and it looks pretty good... you could try calling around to a few radio places but i dont kno know if youll find any...

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

wow... another person with last name like mine... mine is Wolfe also....

Old 09-04-2009, 10:17 PM

bah... now I have a problem. I installed some 6.5" speakers in the front doors on my 88 MGM using the factory harnesses there. It doesn't work. Are those just dummy connectors or is there some kind of jumper somewhere to switch to use those speaker connections? If anyone knows, please enlighten me. I don't want to have to tear up my dash any more to run more wire from the dash speaker connections to the doors.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by crazyrog17
I was looking into replacing my stock radio in the 1993 Grand Marquis.

I've installed an aftermarket audio system before, but I can't find the DIN kit for the car. It seems like it wouldn't need one, but the opening is just a little taller and wider than a regular aftermarket stereo.

Can anyone help me find a kit?
My 94 Grand Cherokee has approx the same size opening as my 2000 GM.....larger than a regular size radio opening, but not quite double DIN size. I bought my radio from Crutchfield and it came with the kit to install. It included a faceplate that covers the surrounding area around the radio and makes for a very neat installation. It also included the correct plugs to install on the radio wiring to plug directly into the factory plugs on the car. No modifications to the car's wiring.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
bah... now I have a problem. I installed some 6.5" speakers in the front doors on my 88 MGM using the factory harnesses there. It doesn't work. Are those just dummy connectors or is there some kind of jumper somewhere to switch to use those speaker connections? If anyone knows, please enlighten me. I don't want to have to tear up my dash any more to run more wire from the dash speaker connections to the doors.
yeah... they're dummy wires. had to run the wires up to the dash. the hardest part was threading the wire through the flex hose between the door and chassis.

Now to go take pics of my handy work and show off.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM

We have a 93 MGM.. the factory stereo just stopped working a week ago. We decided to replace with an inexpensive after market system. Well we chose one made by VR3.. I've never heard of this brand but then again there were about a dozen other brands we looked at that we never heard of so we went with the VR3 (model # VR500CS-BT, about $140) because of the features it offered. It can play AM/FM, CD/MP3's, SD card, USB and has Bluetooth with phone features. The istallation was fairly straight forward... I removed the plastic guide from th OEM unit and retro fitted it to the new VR3 unit so I wouldn't have to use the mounting strap to support the rear of it. (I did have to cut out the mounting sleeve in the bottom center in the area the guide sit's so I was able to instert the unit in the dash)
It was really an improvement over the OEM unit... much more power and sounds a lot better. Oh yeah, I used a Schosch wiring harness adapter to make the connections to the factory harness.
Worked like a charm.... and I wish we would have upgraded years ago to enjoy much better sound.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 PM

the only complaint I've heard about the VR3 units is the CD load/eject mechanism tends to stop working. Hopefully you'll have better luck since those reports are about 4 years old now.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM

i havent really met anyone before with my last name thats funny...

Quick Reply: Replace Stock Radio