Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Simple wheel bearing question for a 1991.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 PM
Default Simple wheel bearing question for a 1991.

I agreed to do the front wheel bearings on my landlords 91 marquis. Is it the basic take tire off,caliper stuff,rotor and remove replace bearings like any other gm,toyota etc? anything different? ive done a billion gm/Toyota. I just wanna make sure i dont run into something stupid. Thank you!

Old 06-26-2017, 04:52 PM

The '91 Grand Marquis uses the old-style bearing-and-cone tapered wheel bearings.

There's a lot of WRONG ways to set wheel bearings --
Here's the RIGHT way:
There is an "Inner" bearing, and an "Outer" bearing for each wheel. Both bearings on each wheel must be replaced as a set.
To maintain proper front-end alignment, always do both front wheels at the same time.
Before installing, PACK the bearings with a high-quality, heavy-duty grease, such as "LUCAS X-TRA Heavy-Duty Grease" . It is rated at NLGI #2, which is the highest rating). The Lucas grease performs perfectly under any conditions that you will encounter -- including dust storms, floods, and perhaps even The Rapture :>)
Apply a film of the Lucas grease to all sides of the bearing cone.
Remove the old bearings, clean the area thoroughly, and install the new cones and bearings.
With inner and outer bearings installed, set the bearings using a torque wrench. If you don't have a torque wrench, you have no business messing around with anybody's wheel bearings, so GET ONE ! !
Torque the spindle nuts to 25 ft/lbs -- and BACK OFF the wrench 90 degrees (1/4th of a turn).
Use a NEW cotter pin to lock the spindle nut in place.
Before installing the center cap, make sure there's lots of grease visible on the bearing.
Clean and install the center cap, put the wheel back on, and you're good to go.
If you use high-quality bearings (SKF or TIMKEN) and the Lucas X-Tra grease, the torque-wrench method will guarantee that your wheel bearings will last at least 50,000 miles without further service.
Word-to-the-wise -- forget the GM/Toyota stuff.
FORD has a better idea ;>)

Last edited by 95 MERC; 06-26-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Add content/photo