Cougar Discuss all years of the Mercury Cougar here...

Very simple problem. Need to replace bulb

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM

HI, I HAVE A problem. I''m trying to change the center brake light, i think it''s callled high mount light, on my 99 cougar.

the problem is i can''t seem to get the cover off. I got the carpet thing off the trunk and i depress the tab on the cover, but i can''t get it off. Can you help please.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:48 PM

are the bulbs accessible from the trunk via a twist lock type socket? (twist it and drop it out into the trunk to replace the bulb) You may not be able to remove the cover without removing the back seat and then the rear deck carpet that the cover is on. At least that''''''''s the way it was on the Topaz I used to have as well as the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis I have now.

nevermind... you have the newer small car version. I''''ll keep looking and see if I can find the info.

ok... www.motorcraftservice.com wins again. looked up the owners manual for the 99 cougar...

Originally Posted by Owners Manual
Remove the push pins and cover from the liftgate. To remove the push pins, press the two tabs of the push pin insert inward and and pull the insert out. Remove the push pin. Turn the defective bulb counterclockwise, pull it out and replace it.
This is on page 218 of the owners manual.Edited by: slymer

Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
are the bulbs accessible from the trunk via a twist lock type socket? (twist it and drop it out into the trunk to replace the bulb) You may not be able to remove the cover without removing the back seat and then the rear deck carpet that the cover is on. At least that''''''''''''''''s the way it was on the Topaz I used to have as well as the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis I have now.

nevermind... you have the newer small car version. I''''''''ll keep looking and see if I can find the info.

ok... www.motorcraftservice.com wins again. looked up the owners manual for the 99 cougar...

Originally Posted by Owners Manual
Remove the push pins and cover from the liftgate. To remove the push pins, press the two tabs of the push pin insert inward and and pull the insert out. Remove the push pin. Turn the defective bulb counterclockwise, pull it out and replace it.
This is on page 218 of the owners manual.

im pretty sure i tried that and it didnt'' work but i''ll try again when i get a chance. Exactly what i was looking for though and i got a free copy of the manual..

thanks a lot