Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

A softer ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Default A softer ride

My 2004 Grand Marquis has a very stiff and uncomfortable ride. My wife nags me about it and recommend a Lincoln instead. I once had a 1979 Mercury Colony Park, and I loved that ride, much softer. Why is my 2004 so stiff, I can feel all the bumps in the road, not comfortable at all. And I hate it when my teeth rattle in my mouth when I am driving. Well, it is not that bad, but it is not at all like the Grand Marquis used to be. It is anything I can do to make it more like in the "old days" I have replaced the springs in the rear because it was sagged a bit, and I have a hitch receiver that keeps smacking down in the concrete everywhere because of how the driveways here are made. So, I put Firestone rubber balloons inside the rear springs, but those are leaking and now the car is bumping down everywhere again. I understand that a softer ride may even make it worse when it comes to bumping down in the concrete all the time, it is like I wish it was softer, but also taller.

Today I was searching the net for around mid 1970 Lincoln Continental Mark IV, that should satisfy my wife for a plush ride, but it would probably dump down in the concrete even worse. I realize I have to go back in time to get a really soft and nice ride, unless something can be done to my Grand Marquis.

Bill

Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 PM

For the best combination of a smooth ride and good handling, get KYB "Gas-A-Just" shock absorbers for the front and rear.
Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring tires deliver a smooth, quiet ride and superior all-season performance.
RockAuto.com has the best prices on those KYB gas shocks.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:04 PM

Thank you. Do you happen to know if the original shocks in 2004 was gas shocks, or if it was old fashioned regular ones ?

Old 08-22-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 04GrandMarquis
Thank you. Do you happen to know if the original shocks in 2004 was gas shocks, or if it was old fashioned regular ones ?
I did some checking for you --
To restore your '04 Merc to it's ORIGINAL factory ride:
Standard suspension (front) = Motorcraft #ASH696
Standard Suspension (rear) = Motorcraft #ASHV861
These are the correct shocks for the Standard Suspension, which will give the most comfortable ride.
There were several suspension options available for that year, some had gas shocks, some did not.
Do you know exactly which suspension option you have ??.
The above Motorcraft shocks are listed at Amazon.com.

Last edited by 95 MERC; 08-22-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 PM

Thank you so much for your infformation.

I went to one dealer first, and I was stupid and asked about something else, I have a recall on my car about the headlight control module, but they want the car the entire day, and I have no intention of waiting that long, so I asked if I could buy it and replace it myself. No, it is not allowed to sell that part to you the guy said, and I have always thought I was a level headed fellow, but my wife is of Scottish and Irish decent, and a redhead and hot headed and she have told me I am pretty hot headed myself, well I do have some red in my beard so there you go. Anyway I ended up being pi***d and crabby, and left without asking about the suspension. After being to Costco for some food I calmed down a bit and went to another Ford dealer, and the guy there say he knew only about 2 packages for that car, the standard and police, and I gave him my VIN number, and he says it is a standard suspension.
I have no idea about parts for my car, how to find out about that. But, my VIN number is 2MEHM75W14X605289.

I replaced my rear springs 1-2 years ago, but not the shocks. It came up in the back, so I wonder if the front has been sagging a bit too. Maybe there is some information about what the height is supposed to be. I see KYB and Gabriel have front shocks complete with the springs mounted. The Motorcraft numbers you gave me is for he shocks only, but maybe they too have one with the springs. Maybe I need a complete Ford shop manual.

Bill

Old 08-24-2018, 09:40 AM
Default A Softer Ride

To restore your car's original "factory" ride --
The part numbers I gave you are correct.
The AHS 696 (front) has a spring attached.
The AHSV861 (rear) has no spring attached.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 95 MERC
To restore your car's original "factory" ride --
The part numbers I gave you are correct.
The AHS 696 (front) has a spring attached.
The AHSV861 (rear) has no spring attached.
I replaced all my shocks.... the fronts I installed Monroe Quick Struts and the rears were standard replacement shocks.
Thanks for your replies..... very informative

Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 AM

I tried to replace my headlight module. It's better to let the dealer do under recall. it's free. and that sucker is tough to change.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 AM
Default A Softer Ride

Sleeping Beauty - Rolling Thunder
Ya done good -- You should NEVER try to fix a "Recall" yourself. That's what the dealer's shop is for -- they have the necessary info, tools, and testing procedures to do the job properly -- and the FREE part of the deal is hard to beat !!
About those shocks -- You said you wanted to restore the original "factory" ride, so I chased down the correct part numbers and included a source whereby you could beat the dealer prices, and have them delivered to your door.
Instead, you bought Monroes.
Oh, well.