Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Sounds like an air horn

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM

My 93 MGM makes a sound like a quiet air horn. Only does it at certain RPM band (usualy low throtle setting like idle). In the engine bay, there is an associated vibration through the air intake. I have heard this is common and may be due to a reverberation in one of the emission system pipes. Any further light would be great thanks.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Well, what about that? I thought I was the only captain steering this vessel around.

Have the same issue. First I thought it might be due to a clogged or restricted air intake. However, even if I take the cover to the air filter off, I'm still making everybody aware of my tanker being around.

Am planning on taking of the entire air intake system at the intake manifold and see what is happening. I was told I should clean the intake (mine was sitting for about 4 years). I saw they make a kit for that, Midas is actually using it. But before spending the money, I want to see.

Will let you know. I probably get it done Wednesday (it only involves unclipping the air filter housing, unplugging some sensors and detaching the clamp on the intake.

Until then, ahoy!

Greetings!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 AM

Shall stand to and wait for the "land ahoy" call

Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Well, I made it to the port, however, quick changesof the Northern Indiana weather between hot/muggy and severe thunderstorms w/lots of rain prohibited me from getting anything done.

But the weekend is close, and don't we like to have some schedule (which very often seems to include working on cars, but not grilling or any other good things???)

Will keep you updated.

Greetings!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Already then. I was lucky enough to catch the USS Marquis while it was "whaling" again. It seems to be very persistent when the car is cold, or if the engine has to work, like with the a/c on.

I took the entire air intake off, and guess what: the noise was gone. As soon as I attach the hose to the intake, the noise is coming back. Now this is all happening while I'm holding the complete air intake in my hand, with no air filter in place and the housing of the air filter being off.

With labor day around the corner, I'm planning on detaching all the sensors from the hose, and then try to move (bend) it around to see if it changes anything in the air flow to make the noise stop.

Maybe something has to be put into the hose to distract the air flow. Don't know what and how, will see during the experiment.

Greetings!

Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 PM

All right, annoying as it is, I got to it this evening and here is what I discovered:

First of all, the plastic around the rubber seal which attach's to the engine intake was broken, so air was bypassing. You can see in the picture that I already super-glued it:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/AirIntake.JPG[/img]

Then you have to make sure that the rubber seal attach's firm to the plastic. I actually had to break the little rubber tab which holds the seal to the intake, which doesn't really matter, cause it can't go anywhere:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/SnugFit.JPG[/img]

Now, before assembling everything, I had to clean the inside and dry it out. It was a kind of messy, this is how the intake should look like afterward:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/Intake.JPG[/img]

Make sure that the air intake is snug on both ends:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/Attached.JPG[/img]

Once everything was assembled, it sounded a bit different to me. This might just be an impression, but the noise was dramatically less than before. I took of the air filter housing and it was still making the noise. I attached the housing again and discovered that the tubs where not aligned properly, so I bend them a little (carefully!) and this is how it should look like:

[img]uploads/92Mercury/Housing.JPG[/img]

Now, the noise is still there, but like I said before, dramatically less than before.

The tanker is going into the dockyard tomorrow. The mechanic I found was able to give me a surprising input on my non-working odometer/trip-meter, and said he wants to look at it, he might have an idea.

Will keep you posted. To me, having the noise less annoying than before, is already an improvement. I did not mention, but it should be obvious, that I cleaned everything and used compressed air (in a can) to blow out any debris.

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 09-01-2007, 07:25 PM

Update:

A few days with cruising my usual route, and the noise is almost gone. Occasionally I can hear it, but it's more like I hear a noise, I really have to pay attention.

I have not completely dried out the air intake. I guess I should spend the time, take it off again, wash it out with some kind of 501 cleaner or similar and then maybe use a hair dryer or so.

It's defiantly a major change, so I'm pleased. Not satisfied yet, but it's okay.

Greetings!

Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the update 92. Will check it out.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Here's one for you:

Ford/Mercury TSB (TechnicalServiceBulletin)

TSB#BC8794950103, -- VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A MOAN OR HOOT NOISE FROM THE IDLE AIR BYPASS VALVE. *TW (NHTSA ID #37911, JANUARY 01 1995)

TSB #94224 -- MOANING OR HOOTING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT MAY BE COMING FROM THE IDLE AIR BYPASS VALVE. *TW (NHTSA ID #37748, OCTOBER 01 1994)

Aha, the air bypass valve. My dealer is checking in Oasis to see what is required, will let you know.

I occasionally have the noise coming back. And you know how it is: it comes back only once, and that's the one time it bothers me LOL

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM

The fella at my garage says there is an aftermarket replacement part (about $115). I caught mine whaling away and took the air cleaner lid of (still attached to the intake), boy that was a mistake with out earplugs.

Quick Reply: Sounds like an air horn