Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Starter stays on after key is turned off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Default Starter stays on after key is turned off

I replaced thge relay switch to the starter and the starter. The tech at O'reillys said the starter was pushing to may amps and tripped their machine where they test alternators and starters--replaced the starter and the relay switch--the relay now get hot and it wont start. might have a short some where??? any ideas why its getting hot and not start.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM

check the ignition switch (where the key goes). there were some recalls on some of those over the years. it may be shorted. also, double check that all the wires are going to where they are supposed to be going.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Thank you for responding--I just bought the tumbler or the ignition switch were the key goes in--my dad said he has to turn it more than before almost to where he uses two hands. I will try to change it out tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 AM

A few questions, what year is your car??? Is the battery in good shape? WHat condition are the battery cables in? Get your ignition switch changed as it sounds as though there is a problem there reguardless.....

After that, if you still have problems and the battery is good check your cables out closely, especially the ground cable.. Ford didn;t spend more than they had to on those battery cables so they are rather small to begin with.. Some of the strands inside the cables may be starting to break thus reducing the amount of current they can carry... This can be checked with a voltage drop test.. I or someone here can explain that test for you if need be..

Good luck!!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 AM

in the new members area he posted what year...
Originally Posted by COOPERATIVE
Hi I have purchased a 1988 Grand Marquis for my dad. It has run fine but just recently started having problems. I have changed the starter and starter relay switch but still not working. Happy to joing the forum and hopefully some one can help me. Thanks I have posted in the correct thread to get answers....
Since I have the same car, and have checked out the recalls on that year, I figured it's probably the ignition switch. Especially if the car has never been checked for recalls. Though I agree, that checking the condition of the wires and battery is definitely a good thing to do.

There's also a number of them recalled for front seat belt recoil issues. Mine's not covered, but seems to be suffering from weak springs in the recoil.