Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Sway Bar Links

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Default Sway Bar Links

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the forum and I have an '03 Grand Marquis. Both front upper ball joints were seriously worn with the boots completely deteriorated. I replaced the upper control arm on the passenger side, following the Haynes manual instructions, but the sway bar link won't fit back into the steering knuckle with the new control arm installed. I left the bottom bolt installed to the sway bar, and zip tied the upper bolt to the sway bar while I figure out the problem. The link is in bad shape, so I plan to replace it too. I haven't been able to replace the driver side control arm yet, cause I got the flu! Has anybody had this problem before? Does the sway bar move when one side of the vehicle is jacked up? Any input would be greatly appreciated by this noob!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:30 AM
Default Panther Suspension Modifications

ADDCO 1" Rear Sway Bar (Top)
I have completely reconstructed the entire front suspension of my Grand Marquis, using both stock and aftermarket parts.
Ball Joints, Control Arm Bushings, Springs, Spring Isolators, Shocks, Sway Bar, Wheel Hubs, Brake Calipers, Police Brake Pads, and Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors.
Rebuilt suspension was designed for long distance, high-speed cruising in the mountains of the desert Southwest.
Almost 50,000 miles on my rebuild -- "Computer" front end alignment is still perfect.

When installing a Sway Bar and/or End Links on a Grand Marquis, BOTH front wheels should be completely off the ground -- best way is to support both sides of the frame on jack-stands. End Links won't line up if only one wheel is off the ground.
If End Links are damaged, REPLACE them !
Best (and cheapest) handling improvement comes from URETHANE bushings for the Sway Bar and the Control Arms.
Urethane control-arm bushings will hold your front end in perfect alignment -- use "computer alignment" ONLY , and tell the technician to "set it at the nominals".
I also added a 1" Sway Bar and Urethane End Links to the rear.
The 95 MERC handles very well at all speeds, with flat cornering and great stability in cross-winds.
KYB "Gas-A-Just" -- (gas-pressurized @ 150 psi) shocks all around.

Custom Dual Exhaust Exits; Superior Tips

Last edited by 95 MERC; 11-29-2020 at 09:41 AM. Reason: content