Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Synthetic or Dino Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 PM

Just wondering how many people are are running full Synthetic or just plain old Dino oil. When I took my car in for service this time [Ford Lincolon Mercury Dealer]they talked me into full Synthetic Motorcraft Oil at 70 bucks a change.

My oil change intervals are 5K miles. Thats a mix of highway and local. It usually takes me about 4 months to get to 5K Miles. I have 66K miles on my car now. Up till now I have been using the Synthetic Blend Ford has to offer. That seemed to work just fine even in this jungle Miami heat

Old 09-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Full synthetic oils are superior to conventional oils in every way. Some of their qualities over conventional oil are preventing engine wear, better viscosity value, and less overall breakdown of the oil. But, using a name brand conventional oil or in your case a synthetic blend, (what I use), is fine as long as you keep up on your oil changes. It is the single most important thing you can do to keep your engine and it''s numerous friction causing internal parts from failing. Unless specified by the manufacturer, using conventional oil is fine. But if I could afford it I would run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. Unless you plan to use synthetic all the time, I would tell your dealer to hold off on the synthetic. A one time use is not going to reduce engine wear in the long run. Plus it''s highway robbery at $70.00 when you could probably do it yourself for $25.00. Maybe in the near future since you are at 66K, you could try some of the "higher mileage oils". But if you''ve been with a syn-blend for the life of the car I would stick with it. But as you know there are many oil types and even more opinions.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:45 AM

I like quaker state. the have high mileage, full syn ans syn blend.a syn blend is cheaper but you also get the benifits of the synthetic. I have used conventional oil and I have 269,000 miles on my car. It never had any kind of synthetic oil in it. Buy a engine oil start up primer syatem.

Anyway test have shown that 85 percent of aLL engine wear comes from engine startup not oil break down into sludge. this is so because there is not any oil on the parts for the quick morning startup. synthetic helps this, a tiny amount and the primer system toally takes car of this problem.

the only true way is to put a oil primmer system on for 800 bucks. it circulates oil inside the motor before you start the car by using a hydro pump that runs off the battery. Most times thee hook right up to a oil cool line or a oil filter. a very easy setup.this setup virtually stops all startup engine wear and you can run regular no sythentic oil in it.

It will pay for it''s self in 2 years just by using conventional oil in a oil primer starter setup over the cost of 70 bucks for your synthetic oil changes

Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM

This discussion is as old as many jokes around.

Synthetic oil does not have any "driver" noticable advantages versus conventional oil. Many test have shown that only laboratories were able to show micro-improvements, which are not normally noticable.

My CrownVic hit the 300,000 mile marker this year. Oil change, as recommended by the manufacturer, every 5,000 miles. Car was driven 95% city, and maybe some highway. Convential oil, and no issues (which issues would you have anyway?)

My MGM goes into his 17th year. Conventional oil, viscosity and intervall as recommended by the manufacurer, same thing.

So do the math: the only thing different, if I had used synthetic oil,would be that I had spent a fortune on it, and the dealer would have built an even more impressive showroom with it (or whatever he does with that).

Funny. People are so concerned about the oil issue (which does not have any negative impact on your enginge), but then drive vehicles with regular gas thus they need premium (like the Marauder). And they sure tell you that "the car runs just fine". But here is damage being done, and it will show at some point in time. Naturally, nobody ever gets it that it might have been due to wrong fuel.

At the end, your car wont be worth any cent more just because of using expensive oil.

Greetings!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:31 PM

I agree. syn oil is a waste.

If people are worried about engine dammage, use better gas like 92 merc said.

There is also a oil engine primer pump that can be installed. we use them on commercial trucks. It save dry oil starts on the motor that every engine does when it starts up for a second. This prevents it br putting oil throught the motor before starting thoe car.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks for all your answers. It does seem like a waste of money using pure synthetic since its being changed out every 5 K miles.

I would have gotten back to all of you sooner but my computer has been in the shop for awhile.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM

No problem. Better late then never!