Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

TERRIBLE fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Default TERRIBLE fuel economy

I GOT MY CAR LEGAL!!! WOOT!

So the first thing I did was burn fifty miles with some coffee and jazzy blues. The next thing I did was pitch a fit that fifty miles=a quarter tank. I've never owned a car like this and was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be like that so I ran it by my brother that I might have about 200 miles per tank.

He says I'm dumping way too much fuel.

I mentioned in this post: https://www.mercuryforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3267 that occasionally my idle wants to die and while driving-if I give her gas-she wants to die and there was a ton of good input.

Well when I mentioned the fuel economy to my brother he listed the same parts as before (plugs, wires, etc) and then brought up the idle air control that someone had mentioned in that post.

So...
Plugs $30
Wires $40
Cap and Rotor $50
Valve Cover Gasket ????
IAC Valve - clean
Throttle Body - clean
Brass Bushing for the Throttle Valve Cable $4
Fuel Pump maybe $130

Looks like I can get it all done for about $300ish. Those prices are from a quick google search. Not bad really. I don't have to do it all on one check..

p.s. I found the plugs for an old school floor mounted cell phone. It is an audio jack and an ethernet style phone cable. Someone was REALLY riding in style in this thing.

It's going to take some time but I believe I'm going to do some serious restoring.

p.p.s. Her name is Samantha

Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM

I'm only getting around 14mpg in town in my 88MGM. My gas gauge drops a quarter tank at about 50 miles too. the gauge will also drop about a quarter below E before you're really out of gas. So I think the gauge is just scaring you. I would definitely go ahead with the top end tune up as you listed just because it's a good thing to do. It definitely helped mine. Still haven't replaced the ignition module though. I doubt I will unless my car really starts having trouble or I replace the engine with a boss 302 or some other high perf engine.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:38 AM

My car gets about 19 miles to the gallon in average...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM

I'll be getting mine out for a full highway tank at the end of the month... we'll see what happens with my mileage then.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:45 PM

Going on a road trip?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 PM

mens retreat with my church. short weekender at the end of the month.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 AM

i hear ya... its nice to get away every now and then...

Old 10-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

tune-up, making sure timing is right, oil change is up to date, trans fluid and filter are ok, rear differential oil has been changed, fuel filter, check brakes to make sure they arent dragging, air pressure in tires are up, air filter are things to check for better mileage. another thing i do if the a/c dont work is unplug the wire from the compressor so it isnt dragging the engine down too. where i live, i yank out the a/c and smog pump since there are no emission checks here.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Default TERRIBLE fuel economy

I bought a PRJ fuel pump and Im looking for a the older style fuel pump canister. Paul and Ed dont have any and Im stuck. Does anyone have an extra one available?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 AM

canister? like the can that goes around the pump (kind of a shield) or the evap system canister? If you need a vented charcoal canister for the evap system, you can get one for any chevy b-body (caprice, pontiac parisienne, etc) and use that. Mid 80s model years.

Quick Reply: TERRIBLE fuel economy