Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Transmission Change For A Kid

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Hello Guys!

I''ve been checking back frequently and reading bits-and-pieces of the forum and I bow down to the community''s extensive knowledge of Mercury cars. I''m just a youngster here and was recently gifted a 1992 Grand Marquis LS and it just hit 100k miles two days ago. I''m no expert when it comes to cars, but I''m extremely willing to learn everything I can.

Here''s the deal:</span>
I''ve been having the common shuddering problem with my transmission and from what the original owner tells me it is time for a flush/fluid change. My owner''s manual tells me I need 12.3qts of transmission fluid, but the (most likely an idiot) employee at O''Reilly told me 3qts. I also checked the dipstick for the specific amount of fluid I''ll need, hoping to find a straight answer. But the only thing with a number on the dipstick was "F1VP-7A020-AA". I can''t imagine how dumb I must sound to you guys at this point... The dipstick told me also to use MERCON oil, but after browsing around this forum I''ve heard both MERCON III, and MERCON V mentioned for Grand Marquis''.

First Question:
</span></span>How many quarts of transmission fluid will my car need when a friend and I change it?

Second Question:
</span>Should I use MERCON III or MERCON V?</span>

Third Question:
</span></span>What kind of transmission filter will I need?

I know these are rookie questions, but I keep getting contradicting answers to my questions and it''s getting frustrating. Also, I''ve spent a n hour or so browsing around for these answers online and I can''t find a website that answers them directly. Most likely because they are very n00bish questions and I understand that. Any answers I can get will be much appreciated!

Thank you kindly,
Marqeezy

Edited by: Marqeezy

Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM

you''ll need at least 10 quarts of fluid to make sure you''ve got enough. when you remove the transmission pan, you''ll have to clean the old gasket off and make sure that all the bolt dimples are removed and the pan is flat again before installing the new gasket. you''ll want to put a very thin bead of gasket sealer on the pan then very carefully place the new gasket on it. make sure that NO sealant appears on the inside edge of the pan. the filter may be bolted in and need to be removed with the suitable tools. common sockets usually work here. you will need a torque wrench for reinstalling the filter and pan and a repair manual might have this info. you can just tighten to feel, but there''s no guarantee you won''t warp something and cause leaks.

Mercon V is fine. anyone that says otherwise is being overly cautious.

The transmission filter you''ll need is the one that fits your transmission. no other filter will work.

I would suggest taking it to a reputable transmission shop and letting them do the fluid and filter change. though I would also say that if the fluid level is low, just top it off and keep running. sometimes the shuddering just means that the level is low. It may also mean that the torque converter is wearing out. I''d put some more fluid in it if it''s low (check it while running, in park, and warmed up). if the fluid is a nice red, then it doesn''t need to be changed. if it''s black and/or smells burnt, you have other issues than just a fluid problem. If the fluid is amber, then it''s begun breaking down and needs to be changed.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Thanks Slymer, just the kind of advice I was looking for.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM

*UPDATE*

I ended up just taking the car to a buddy''''s garage. We dropped the pan, drained all the fluid we could, slapped a new filter on, and filled her up with fresh fluid. It was the cheapest/best thing I could do for the money. The shuddering does "occasionally" happen when shifting around 30mph, but now my tranny ALSO occasionally slips when shifting. The car kind of over-revs before it drops into gear and sometimes it stalls a couple seconds.

Any ideas what the deal is Mercury guys?

Could my torque converter be going out? If so how much would that cost to have a local mechanic do it?

The Much Appreciated,
Marqeezy

Edited by: Marqeezy

Old 03-02-2009, 04:41 PM

the clutches are probably worn out and the new fluid helped clean the lacquer off that was actually allowing things to work. You''re definitely in for a rebuild. it could be the torque converter, but again, there''s probably other stuff in the trans that needs replacing as well. my wife''s 1993 had the same issues and needed the torque converter as well as clutches and a few bands. that was all at around 113k miles.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM

What gear does it slip in??? The early AODE (and 4r70w starting in 1994)had issues with a spring breaking on the 1-2 shift accumulator.. Causes slow, soft, and slippingshifting into second gear.. Especially under harder throttle.. There''''s an updated spring and accumulator piston available for these...

As far as the shudder, it could be the torque converter.. They had some trouble with these, they updated them in ''''95 I believe...With an ailing torque converter you''''re probably best off planning on a rebuild...

Check you engine out though.. Bad plug wires will give a similar shuddering feel.. If they are original they''''re are probably about due to be replaced along with the plugs.. Easy check on the wires would be to look under the hood after dark (hood light bulb removed, and headlights off).. Have the engine warmed up and running and snap the throttle.. If you see sparks anywhere it''''s time...

Edited by: maxfax3

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 AM

@MARQxxx:

I strongly recommend that you use the search function. You will find all the details, event the technical clues most don''t understand about your transmission issue, which is sort of common.

You will find out quickly that you have been given wrong advice.

If you need more valuable help (likeTSB''s, other knowledgeable members input and experienceetc.), drop me a PM. I am not joining endless worthless postings.

Greetings!

Old 03-03-2009, 03:24 PM

@Slymer:

About how much did that transmission work run you? My car is only a year older than your wife''s and our mileages are close too. I''m not ruling out anything at this point. Also, how much would you think it would cost me to have a local shop "check out" my transmission?

@maxfax3

The shuddering occurs at different gears. Sometimes it will be fine going into 2nd and sometimes it won''t. As of recently, it hasn''t been consistent, but it''s been shuddering the worst going into 3rd gear around 30-35 mph. My Grand Marquis is a 1992 so I suppose I could rule out the "spring" issue. I like the neat trick for checking out the spark plug wires though. Although, I''m pretty confident my problem is with the transmission/torque converter. At idle, or low speeds (1st gear) it runs beautifully.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:11 PM

just to "check" the trans will probably run $200-500 depending on the shop. The rebuild in my wife''s car ran about $1700 if I remember correctly. If it''s just clutches and no hard parts, you will probably be good for about $800. Hard parts like torque converter ($250-300), pump ($200-ish), gears, etc will of course add to it. From the sounds of it, you''re most likely going to have clutches, maybe bands, and maybe a torque converter. I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best (personal way of thinking) and have $2000 ready for a full rebuild and hope that it''s just the $800 clutches variety.

my wife''s car exhibited the same "into third" shudder. that was clutches. uphill in third at about 35-38 also shuddered. the torque converter was replace because it was pretty worn out as well. Can''t argue with the results though... the car gets 27mpg on the highway and 17mpg in town. my 88 MGM gets 18mpg on the highway and 13mpg in town unless I really baby it and get about 14mpg.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM

If you really want to have some fun with this trans B&amp;M makes a pretty decent shift kist for these... However I would not recomend the street/strip version.. The Heavy duty/towing is sufficient... Trans-go also makes a nice kit for these, but it is a little more work to install, plus they don;t include gaskets.. Seem to get the same end result from both....

My ole 4.6 T-Bird shifted like a dream after updating the torque converter, installing the shift kit and a cooler, changing over to Mercon V fluid..... This was at 70K..Brother in law is stil running it now with 280K on the same trans.. Now if there was just an easy fix for oil consumption on a 4.6Edited by: maxfax3

Quick Reply: Transmission Change For A Kid