Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Tune up help

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 11:42 AM
Default Tune up help

What to do after my car has sat for 2 years. It was given to me after it has sat. I'm new to Mercury and I want to be sure I'm making the proper steps to getting my 89 Mercury Grand Marquis back on the road

Old 03-03-2021, 02:25 PM

Hello!

Welcome to the Merc forum! I'm also a junior member like yourself, but my buddy has an '89 GM (Grand Marquis) that has fuel pressure issues. A good resource I found was a youtube channel called bah53. He has an '88 Crown Vic that sits around alot, although his videos are spaced pretty far apart, he's always doing little things here and there to make it more dependable. If you didn't know, the Grand Marquis and Crown Vic are essentially the same car. Hopefully this resource is useful to you!

Anyway, what I like to do is check the air filter, oil level, coolant level and quality, battery age, just to get started. The one I experienced runs rougher when the interior fan is on, so keep that in mind... but as far as I know issues with these are usually related to fuel pressure. These are just things I like to do with most vehicles anyway. The 2 year old fuel is probably bad, so I'd probably disconnect the line at the throttle body, cycle the ignition into the accessory position, and use the fuel pump to empty the tank into an acceptable container do dispose of it. New fuel filter probably wouldn't hurt either, bah53 has a good video on how to do that. Other than that, it's pretty common for the transmission throttle cable to become disconnected from the throttle body on the top of the engine, the white plastic bushing disintegrates and the linkage just falls out. It's pretty important that this is rectified, there are plenty of new metal and plastic bushings out there for Broncos and such. There are a few threads here that speak of this issue. The search bar on the top right will get you straight there. That's all I can think of at this time. There doesn't seem to be alot of activity here anymore, but I hope someone else has some input for you. 20marquis07 is a pretty senior member as far as I know.

Well, hope this is helpful to you, and good luck!
Cheers!