Grand Marquis Discuss the Mercury Grand Marquis here...

Turbo 89

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:45 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
So, i was thinking today, i have an 89 Grand Marquis 5.0L V8 302, and wanted to turbo it, but i had a few questions.

- What will the computer allow as far as boost pressure? Will it adjust fuel and spark automattically? How much boost will it allow?

- How much boost will the stock bottom end take?

Those are the main ones for now, if anyone could help, I would really appritiate it. Thanks!!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Well, I'm not an expert in this field but I can tell you that the computer will not compensate for any added boost from a turbo. I think reprogramming or replacement of the computer will be needed. I'm pretty sure a high volumn fuel pump will be needed. That could mean changes to the whole fuel line system(higher pressure fuel line), fuel rails, and injectors. The recirculation of exhaust that is then forced into the intake of the engine, I would be more concerned about the stock top end of the engine not the bottom. I think if you purchase a turbo kit for your make and model that it will give all the rest of the info you require to make the most of the kit you can. Good luck and let me know.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM

</>
Alright, well, this car has a MAP sensor right? If it does, i can just put a T fitting on the vacume line inline to the MAP sensor, which will bleed the boost off, so the MAP doesnt read boost, and the ECM doesnt see anything as far as boost. Stock fuel system should be ok, im only running 6PSI to start with. I think i could just use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and it would be fine, just up the pressure a bit. Would spark need adjusted for only 6PSI?? Also, how much boost can this engine stand up to? Thanks again!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

i would start off by upgrading the engine. i would install an explorer or HO cam, upgrade injectors, change the computer out with a HO computer out of a lincoln Mark7, chnage out the heads since valves will float at higher rpm, changing the upper plenum/intake and upgrade the exhaust system.

changing the cam will allow to be ran with HO spark plug wiring firing order and save the bottom end of the engine since standard 5.0 firing order tears up the main bearings on one of the cylinders... cant remember right off hand.

changing out the heads will allow i to breathe better and help with valve floating. nice heads i know oof hand are produced by a guy in Florida called thumper of orange county IIRC.

i would go to a HO upper intake, EGR spacer, and throttlebody. the throttle body would have to have the butterfly arm replaced with your standard arm since an HO upper is backwards compared to our cars. or you can get a Typhoon upper intake since i have a current project in the making i plan on using a typhoon for.

exhaust system should also be upgraded. i am getting BBK shorty headers, connected to a BBK offroad X pipe and dump out the exhaust in front of rear wheels to avoid the bad restriction of the bend over the rear axle.

about best bang for the buck is to get different rear gears in the car to be upgraded to 3.55 or 3.73s. another thing would be a underdrive pulley made for our cars. it is made by ASP. it is just a crank pulley and helps alot.

if you wanna save on a build, find an 1997 explorer or 1997 mountaineer engine and do a swap and switch your accessory brackets over to keep everything in same place instead of customizing all hoses and wiring. dont know if this will help much, but figured if you are doing a build, this might do some good.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM

</>
Alright, thanks.

I wasent really wanting to tear the engine down, I was just wanting 6PSI of boost on this engine.. exhaust right now has a flowmaster 40 series, with the exhuast run out the passenger side... Where do you get those BBK headers from, and what are they made out of?? It might be easier to weld a turbo flange on them than the stock mani since stock is cast... Would this motor with all stock internals and everything take 6PSI? I think it should, as 6PSI is a VERY low ammount. I know a friend that has a stock 4 cylinder sunbird running 22PSI, so i wouldnt imagine it would be hard, but want to make sure. What are some easy bolt on mods for these motors? what do they respond to best?? Thanks again!!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

best mod is rear gears. upgrade that and you will notice big change. if you swap to shorty headers and also the upper intake to allow better breathing it would be more beneficial to swap the heads. to get another boost would also be to convert the engine to HO. you can find the headers on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-19...OME-SHORTY-HEA DERS-FORD-MUSTANG-5-0-1515_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631Q QihZ022QQitemZ350026178242QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i still sugest to swap the rear gears out and you will see major improvement over what you probably have. to know the gears you have now, look at your door sticker and tell me what it says under AX.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:49 PM

</>
Alright, I just checked, and under AX it says 8. Also, the heater core went out, how hard is it to change that? Also, how hard is it to convert to a 5 speed, for some added fun [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]lol. What cam, intake plenum, heads, ect. would you recommend for this engine if I still boost it?? Thanks. And oh yeah. i'll check out that site you sent me, thanks again!!! Your a big help!!!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 02-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

lets see....

you have a 2.73 open rear gear setup. in other words, it is slow on take off and would really benefit from an upgrade. heater core is a pain in the butt. you need to pull the whole dash loose to have access at the heater core compartment.

i would go with a HO cam from an explorer/mountaineer, or from a mustang with a HO. intake would benefit from going with a HO plenum from vehicles mentioned above or a typhoon intake set. heads i would go with a set from Thumper of Orange Park. by changing the cam, it will change firing order of the car to a HO setup. if you check the site i sent, it will have tons of advice on how to get best bang for the buck.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

i forgot to mention... here is a link to my photobucket... it has pictures of an HO install in a Grand Marquis i helped with when i was on vacation in Pennsylvania. this way i can show i helped with a modified Grand Marquis and what kind of work i know how to do to these cars.

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...achickenfarmer /Crown%20Vic/SF07/

Old 02-16-2008, 10:29 AM

</>
Alright. How easy is all this stuff to put on?? Just basic bolt on stuff?? What gears would you recomend? Where can I get them? Also, what does HO stand for??? Sorry, i'm new to these cars. But, thanks again!!
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Quick Reply: Turbo 89