Mariner Discuss the Mercury Mariner here...

Tire road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Werecently purchased a 2005 Mariner, 6 cyl, 4 wdit now has 30k. This would be a nice vehicle but for the excessive tireroadnoise, the faster you go themore noise they make,probably cupped tires. I had the tires rotated to see if this would help, it didn't. Has anyone had similar problems with there Mariner Continental tires andwhat did you replace them with. Purchasing a set of Quiet running tires is the goal. This SUV will never be driven off road. I live around Columbus, Ohio so a little rain and snow isall tires will have to deal with.

Thanks,

Fats

Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 AM

When the wife and I test drove a 2006 Mariner, that was the first issue we noticed and said, "not for us". Bought a 2005Mountaineer, new but one year old.
< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>

Old 04-20-2008, 04:43 PM

The standard tires are cheap - yielding a rough ride with lots of road
noise, contributing to the poor gas mileage, and handling is not the
best.
You can buy the Eco-Plus tires from Tire Rack, they are around $70 a piece, I have driven them in the wet &amp; dry and grip has been very good plus they are very quiet.

2008 Mercury Mariner Reviews

Old 04-28-2008, 08:55 AM

I myself have an 05, exactly like you, I have heard many complaints about the road noise. I'm not sure if the previous owner switched tires due to the problem. But I have NEVER had a complaint about it. Mine has been very quiet since I have owned it(going on a year). I just recently changed my tires and asked before I bought them if they were loud, because off road or all terrain tires have a tendency to "whaw whaw" while driving. The ones I got are Firestone Duehlers and they are GREAT, great in the rain and not much road noise. I LOVE my CAR!!!! If you don't get these certain tires, look for some that are less "knobby" the "knobbier" the louder.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the input, The 2005 I purchased (25,000 MI's)came with Continental Contitrac's, did your 2005 have a different tire orContinental tire model on it?

Thanks,

Bill

Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 AM

You're welcome.I don't remember I think they might have been Continentals?! I wish I could remember, I'll ask my husband tonight to see if he remembers. Everyone I've heard talk about this says it happens when they are doing over 50mph...All the roads where I live the speed limit its at least 55mph, so I'm constantly doing over 50..and have no problems!!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:57 PM

The problem is the tires. It is a thorn in my side. It is probably the only complaint I have ever heard about the Mariner. Typically, around the 30,000 mile mark is when they get noisy. My theory is that they put a softer compound tire on new vehicles to give a better ride. I do want to note that the new body style is a much quiter vehicle. So, please do not let this put a bad taste in your mouth for an otherwise great vehicle. A lot of dealers carry tires now. I would ask them what they would recommend. They have probably had customers do the same thing you are doing and can probably save you some time.

www.libertylm.com

Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 PM

the tires have a soft compound when new making it quiet. this compound is 30/70. this means that when 30 percent of the tire is worn down the soft quiet compound is also worn down. this leaves a hard compound that last longer for the tire warranty and tire strength but it makes the tires have a much louder noise. There are nly a few companies that do this and this is one of them. They are great tires new and good when worn. If you don''t mind the noise they are still good tires for the price.