Milan Discuss the newest sedan to the line up, the Mercury Milan...

Sway bars (stock and aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Leased a 2009 Milan base for my wife. Understeers a ton. So I looked around for an aftermarket rear bar. Steeda sells the smallest diameter rear bar for $129. Bought that.

Installed it today. I''ll get back to everyone on whether it''s tail happy or not. I have been to the grocery store, but not a clover-leaf freeway interchange.

Here''s a pic of the stock rear bar and of the Steeda rear bar, with measurements. (I hadn''t taken measurements of the front bar at the time of this pic,..so I edited them in.)

[img]uploads/duckstu/Steeda_rear_bar_comparo.JPG[/img]

The Fusion is supposed to have a 24mm front bar and a 19mm rear. Milan is supposed to be the same.

But when I measured them,...the front was a close 23.875,..but the rear is only 13.46 mm. Wowa, that''s tiny.

The Steeda wasn''t quite 24mm either. Rather it''s 22.2mm.

I was expecting a 5 mm bump in diameter,..but I got an 8.75 bump. We''ll see how that works out.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:56 PM

when you give the car back after the leaseare you taking that sweet sway bar off and putting back on the stocker?

It looks great brother. that thing is huge. Well worth the money

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 AM

Well the verdict is in. The difference is HUGE!!!

And I''m not talking about something that only a racer would notice and the rest of us might not,..the difference in cornering is huge.

Tried it out for the first time on a clover-leaf interchange a couple days ago. Before on an uphill one, the front tires were squealing mercilessly and the car wasn''t going all that fast.

This time,..it was on a down-hill cloverleaf, soI expected to find squealing from one end or the other pretty easilly. Well,...I didn''t. Instead I found a new problem. Even withthe gas pedalto the floor (4cyl)and going down-hill,...I couldn''t get going fast enough to make either end slide. The front tires made just the slightest bit of noise and that''s it. I was truely amazed at how well it corners.

Consider this. The Fusions and Milans all have 24mm front sway bars. The Fusion Sport package has a 19mm rear,..but my Milan only had a 13mm rear bar. The Steeda is 22.2.

Another option for Milan owners wanting to save a couple bucks is just to buy a Fusion Sport Package rear bar and bushings. Although I can''t see the bar and bushings comming in at that much under $129.

Definately an A+ mod.