Montego Discuss the Mercury Montego here...

1970 Montego MX Brougham - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Default 1970 Montego MX Brougham - Questions

Greetings!

I'm looking at purchasing a 1970 Montego MX Brougham. My question(s) is a general one about this car: Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this particular car? If so, do you have any cautionary tales for me to take into consideration? I tend to be the person who ends up buying the one year/make/model of something that had a problem. I tend to hear things like, "Oh, yeah. The rear seal went out at 50,000 miles on those..." or "That was a horrible engine..."

This particular car has the 351 Cleveland. It originally had a 2-barrel carb but someone put a 4-barrel on it at some point. It has an automatic transmission, but I'm not sure which one (I've sent the seller some questions - waiting to hear back).

Anyway, I'm basically looking to see if anyone says, "Oh, dude! Do NOT get a '70 Montego!" lol

Thanks,

Brandon

Old 03-19-2011, 01:20 AM

Wow that car brings back memories! My dad bought a brand new Montego back in 1970 when he came home from Vietnam,What he wanted was a 70 Ford Torino only it had to have a bench seat because there was 6 of us in the family so the hot Torino GT was out, so they showed him the Montego and it looked ok. had a 302 2barrel air conditioning and it was blue,Then one day my uncle said it was the same color as Air force Blue and my dad hated it ever sence. The car had power for its time being a carb,and an automatic c-4 i beleve,but to pass on a 2 lane highway with the a/c on you better give yourself some time as it didnt have much power for that.The only thing he had problems with was the tranny did go out and one day it started and he put it in gear and it died my dad looked all day to find the problem and it ended up being the tach wire at the coil it broke inside the insulation and you couldnt see it if you wanted to. Another time California started out with smog laws and they made you put what we called the "green weenie" on your car and it went on your upper radiator hose and vacume hoses went to your vacume advance to retard your timing when the car heated up,well that Montego hated it along with many cars in California some even catching fire so it was scraped.
That car took me thru high school and my brother also who was in the same grade.Both he and i had wreaks in that car he hit a power pole as he was fish tailin and i rear ended a Pinto in front of Sea World and i was rear ended in that wreak,the grill sticks out so it was always losin grill parts so i finished it off.We both had to save for the deductable and my Dad got her fixed and repainted but this time it was a yellow Montego. It was a great car that i will always remember.