Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

02 Mountaineer

Old 07-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Default 02 Mountaineer

When turning of the ignition on my Mountaineer, it has a sound that reminds me of a fan winding down. One mechanic said it was just that the fan. Another said it was the plastic intake valves leaking. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 PM

does it do this as well when the engine is still cool? (start it up for a moment, rev it once, turn it off)

If it still has the sound, then it probably is a intake or vacuum leak somewhere. If it only does it after running the A/C then it may just be the A/C system equalizing through the expansion valve.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 PM

You should open your hood and see if you can confirm or eliminate the fan as the noise maker.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
Default 02 Mountaineer

I just bought a 1997 Mountaineer. The mechanic said nothing was wrong with it. Im just wondering if theres anything you found particularly good or bad about it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.