Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

2002 Mountaineer orig owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Default 2002 Mountaineer orig owner

Hello Everyone
I just signed up tonight as i think this can be fun going thru differant issues with the Mercury we drive.
As im sure it happens to all, my last $500.00 payment went off and my baby is mine. With that said i had a strange thing happen and on here i found out how to correct it...Remember people to spray WD-40 in those door latchs, Now if we stop and think it makes sence. My first job was working as a grease monkey back in 1976 and all cars had there door latchs lubed with a lithium grease ,then they were metal now there nylon,along with that is a metal catch that makes a ground contact to shut off lights and door buzzers. We wash our cars and wax gets inside the door frame and on the door latch taking away the bare metal contact that is needed.Doesnt happen right away but it will in time.WD-40 is a cleaner and works fast ,try it on your hands when there full of oil and grease,better than soap!So see the Door Ajar light didnt go out with magic , just WD-40.
Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Well im here to say it finally bit the ghost and stayed on all the time,center console lights staying on,the alarm wouldnt set,door ajar on message center wouldnt clear so now what? I am here to tell you i went to Ford and bought two switchs, driver door and passenger door and there even called door ajar switchs who would have thunk? they were not cheap $120.00 for both and now i have found them online for a lot less,try "partsgeek.com" and i took the door panel off undid the rods and changed the switch took all of an hour for one but had to go back and put one of the rods back on that i missed.
If you are short on funds go to the drivers side first and take it off and i will bet you the ball tip on the switch is stuck on the body of the switch.
Sure is nice to have it correct,and now i know the real reason the WD-40 works, it flows down to the switch and frees it up for a while anyways.
Hope this helps as you scratch your head wondering why does my alarm go off all by itself?