Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

5.0 talk

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Default 5.0 talk

so who's got what done to their mountaineer 5.0? i'm interested in doing some work to my 98 mountaineer since i am getting tired of it being stock. so who has done what?? where are some places to start??

Old 07-18-2009, 06:23 AM

There a few guys on this site, 2 imperticular, that will go to town on your question. Suprised they haven't yet. Anyway, I think you have the desirable intake. Not sure about the heads.(GT-40's?) Now what I would do if I were you is let that sucker breathe and see where that gets you. Start with exhaust, headers back. And let her inhale too with a cold air intake. So are you looking for bolt-on power, or are you willing to start tearing down the engine? Should of been my first question. Let us know.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Hmmm Well generally on any other Ford product with a 5.0 the perscription is to steal parts from a 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer.. The 5.0 you have is the best there was... You already have a good set of intakes, decent cam, good heads. But there are things that can be upgraded...

Aftermarket headers are available for your SUV, albeit not cheap, they do flow a bit better.. Even some true dual exhaust with some high flow cats (about 2.25 - 2.5" diameter) would be a help.. Cold air intake is another thing you can do..

Not sure what all is out there but some variety of turning to the computer should yeild you some improvements...

Now if you really wanna get into it, head porting or possibly aftermarket heads, intake porting to a degree, different cam.. This stuff will get you into some major engine teardown though...

Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 AM

yeah, just lookin for bolt on stuff or what not. i've got an audi a4 that all i though i could do was exhaust and intake but the guys on the forums have let me in on all sorts of hints and tricks. the exhuast is a must!! whether it's duals or just a higher flowing stock lookin thing that gives more sound. is there any type of pulleys that can be had for cheap?? maybe an aftermarket valve body for the trans? what websites are specific for modding parts for the mountaineer 5.0??

Old 07-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Can;t recomend any specfic sites, but I'd check out some Explorer/Mountaineer specfic forums.. Maybe something like www.explorerforum.com or www.therangerstation.com

I'm pretty sure there are underdrive pullies available, I think the one for the 5.0 Mustangs from '94 and '95 and T-birds/Cougars '91-'93 work as they used similar accessory brackets and accessories..

Your Mountanieer has the 4r70w transmission (similar to the AODE with different gear ratios) which was used in all the rwd cars and light trucks from 92ish and up.. Tons of stuff available for that.. The B&M shift kit works quite well with these.... Check out these guys for tranny stuff www.baumannengineering.com/aodeupgr.htm