Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

97 mountaineer mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 PM

I have been trying to get better mileage out of my 97 mountaineer since i got it. I have done to normal things to get the best mileage. I have my tires inflated properly. I have a clean air filter which i just cleaned yesterday and i am about to go and get an oil change and put some Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my truck in hopes that, that will give me some better mileage.

I am dying to get better than the 13 mpg that i am getting right now. A friend of mine told me that turning off his smog filter increased his milage and something about not having a catalyic converter or something like that. I wanted to know if shutting down systems like those or something similar would increase my mileage. And if it would could anyone tell me where to do it and how?

I know i am asking a lot but you would be helping out a fellow mountaineer owner immensly [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

If they have emission laws where you are at, you will fail without a converter. If not, you could either have the converter removed or gut it. I've never gutted one, but I would imagine you could puncture a hole in the bottom of the converter. I don't know what the packing is made of, but they say it looks like kitty litter. Some should come out when you puncture the hole, and the rest should burn away. Your check engine light WILL come on. I would also switch to a freer flowing air filter like a K&N. Some one else might be able to tell you more about gutting it. Re moving it should be as simple as cutting out before and after the converter and replacing it with a pipe that you could pick up at any parts store. You will need to have the pipe welded in.

My disclaimer is that I do not recommend this and it may effect the way your vehicle runs.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 PM

thank you. But i don't think i am going to have to do it to my truck since i am selling it right now. I am going to buy a new 2006 ford fusion to replace it.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:08 PM

you may want to find out if the tstat is working correctly the only way to find this out is have the ect pid monitored and if it drops below .75 volts hot then its ok but if it doesent then the computer makes the car run rich because it thinks its cold useing more fuel dont go by if you have heat due to it might not be opening all the way hope this helps

Old 05-04-2006, 04:27 PM

For my 97 Montaineer all I had to do after an oil change was to add some fuel injector cleaner to my gas tank, and after one tank full of gas I went from 13 MPG to about 18 MPG.

I used STP fuel injector cleaner made with Jet Fuel. The instructions stated It treats up to 21 Gallons, I added it to little bit more then a half tank about 12 gallons, drove ittill it was on (E), filled it up and I noticed the difference right a way, better performance and MPG as a bonus, I now add it about every 6 tank fulls (*Note* the instructions state after every oil change) and it stays right around 18 MPG, and believe it or not after a good oil change it seems even better.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 AM

So what your saying is that you added it and then you kept driving? I always add it to an empty tank right before i go to fill up. Is that wrong? And i was also wondering how much of that 18 miles are highway miles cause i don't go on the highway that much since i can't afford to drive great distances.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:33 AM

Yes it's mostly highway miles, my job is 30 miles from my house. And yes I did add it to a half tank of gas so as not to dilute the treatment too much, you can add it to a empty tank and have a half tank of gas added to it, however the factory estimated MPG for 97 mountaineer is 14 city 18 highway, and it probably will never be any higher then 18, only proper maintenance and good driving habits will keep this true, there are no magic tricks that will improve this, sorry.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:22 PM

Yea, i know that there are no magic tricks but i am still in search of a way to gain a few MPG.