Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

99 AWD motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Default 99 AWD motor mount question

I've been told that to replace my motor mounts in my 99 V8 AWD that I will have to remove the engine.

Is this true? If not, whats the easiest way to do it?

JT

Old 02-04-2010, 06:22 PM

you usually don't have to remove the engine as much as you just need to stabilize it with an engine crane/lift, etc. Once it's supported you can remove the old mounts and install the new ones (adjusting the support as needed) and then once the new mounts are on, take the supports off and you're good to go. This is assuming you can get a wrench on the bolts that is.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 PM

I got the same issue on my '99...

In studying the situation, the upper nuts are easily accessed by removing the mud/rain guard flaps from the fenderwells. But I still gotta figure out the best way to get at the lower nuts since the front differential (and mounting bracket) is in the way to access the lower nut on the driver's side and the inner CV joint blocks access to the passenger side.

The engine of course has to be lifted and supported, but I don't see any places to grab it from above. Please help here too, otherwise careful positioning of wood blocks to distribute the weight against the oil pan from underneath on a floorjack will have to do.

TJBASS, did you figure out what needed to be done for access? I'd appreciate any hints you could provide.

Last edited by Chzyrider; 05-31-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 AM

On mine, it turned out that the stud/bolts connecting the motor mount plate to the engine block were broken on the passenger side and the engine was bouncing on that plate. These are no longer available from Ford/Merc and I had to use a threaded stud with allen head recess to secure the plate to the engine block and also re-mount the two brackets on that side. I did have to lower the front differential and let it rest on the torsion bars for access to either lower motor mount nut. The steering column also had to be disconnected near the firewall and moved aside for access to the driver's side upper motor mount nuts.