Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Anyone Help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 PM

I am new to Mercury as I got a really good deal on this mountaineer from my mother in-law after my wifes little sister hit a snow bank and caused a mild roll. I tryed to start the truck and it cranks over for about three to four seconds and then nothing. Is there any sensors or kill switch that could be causing it to not turn over? Its a 2004 with the 4.0 in it.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:38 PM

it''s probably the fuel cut-off switch.

click over to www.motorcraftservice.com and download the manual for your vehicle if you don''t already have it.

The info for the fuel cut-off switch is on page 175 of the 3rd printing that I downloaded.

Here''s the info:

FUEL PUMP SHUT-OFF SWITCH FUEL RESET
The fuel pump shut-off switch is a device intended to stop the electric fuel pump when your vehicle has been involved in a substantial jolt.
After a collision, if the engine cranks but does not start, the fuel pump shut-off switch may have been activated.
The fuel pump shut-off switch is located in the passenger’s foot well, by the kick panel.
Use the following procedure to reset the fuel pump shut-off switch.
1. Turn the ignition to the OFF position.
2. Check the fuel system for leaks.
3. If no fuel leak is apparent, reset the fuel pump shut-off switch by pushing in on the reset button.
4. Turn the ignition to the ON position. Pause for a few seconds and return the key to the OFF position.
5. Make a further check for leaks in the fuel system.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:45 PM

I have tried the fuel switch, Now it cranks but wont start and the theft light is flashing in the cluster

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM

it actually sounds like the RFID chip in the key is not responding. if that doesn''t work, you''ll have to go get a new key from the dealer. if you have 2 keys, try the other one. if they''re both failing, it may be the receiver in the alarm system or the alarm system itself may be damaged.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM

Is there a way to check or test the key?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:42 PM

most dealerships will test the keys to make sure they''re working. some parts stores also have the key testers, but they are not as popular as the alarm transmitter testers.

If the dealership wants to charge you to test the key, go somewhere else. you''ll probably want to call around to see. I''m thinking there was probably something jarred loose when the truck rolled.

there may also be something blocking the fuel line (either in the filter, or the gas tank). How many miles does it have on it and has the fuel filter ever been changed?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM

The truck has a little over 100K on it, it has had all routine maint, and I recieved it from the original owner. I will crawl under and check out the filter.

I can just get the key tested right? I mean I dont need to bring the truck to the dealership do I?

Again, I am appreciating all the help[img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]Edited by: road_gr8r

Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 PM

I''m not sure if you need the truck too. I''d call first to make sure and to check to see if they''ll check it for free.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

ok, its been along struggle but it is running and driving. Thanks for all the help [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]