Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 PM

YAY!! Next question... on the drive shaft coming outta the transfer case and tranny and all that crap... it goes to what looks to be a second transfer case then to the differential... what is this middle part... I don''t have a clue as to what it is I have a 1997 mountaineer AWD system... well from the tranny to what ever the middle part is there is a seal rubber is what it looks like... well that is cracked and I want to know is there fluid in there (assuming so.. obvious but wanna know) well in this tear it was creating a click sound and I mean this was loud at one point... I mean Really loud... So I sprayed WD-40 in this crack... THE CLICK WENT AWAY!!! then it came back like 3 weeks later did it again... and well its been over 2 months and nothing but I want it fixed... but this seal seems to be closed like it connects to the "2nd" transfer case by what looks like a solid piece not hollow that looks solid... I need someone to explain this if they can... I don''t have a damn clue not a 1... So any help holy crap THANK YOU!!! it doesn''t seem open to this second transfer case but who the hell knows... I thought it was all solid drive shaft but I am wrong... any help thanx sorry for the not so exact explanation but I don''t know what it is.. thanx again.