Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Drivers seat lumbar support

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 AM

I have a 1997 Mountaineer and I love it, however the drivers side lumbar support doesn't work the pump turns on but the support does not seem to inflate, and if you press the rocker switch in the opposite direction air is released, the right side seat works perfectly so I know the range of firmness. any Ideas? as a side note if I decide to get new seats anyone have any links for replacement seats? I've been looking but could not find any suitable replacementsites. Edited by: TechBob

Old 12-07-2005, 04:50 PM

I tried jcwhitney,but only could come up with 3rd row seating options.

It seems to be that the only place (currently) is your dealer ($$$-ouch ) for replacements untill the aftermarket catches up.

Old 12-21-2005, 01:31 AM

CHECK SWITCH SOME TIMES THEY LEAK AND WONT LET BAG FILL HTIS IS EASIER THEN CHANGING BAG ALSO SWAP SWITCH FROM PASS SIDE AND SEE IF IT WORKS THEN IF NOT WILL HAVE TO CHANGE BAG

Old 12-23-2005, 03:28 PM

My 1996 Explorer has a similar problem. The bladder inflates but will not stay inflated. I'm guessing there's some kind of one way valve that isn't closing, or maybe as WWEB suspects, a switch that's not closing properly. Assuming it's easy enough to do, good idea on switching over the switch that you know works, it may help eliminate a more major repair option.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 PM

I found out what the problem is today! I pulled the seat out laid it on it's side disconnected the hose from the valve/switch, I then filled the bladder with air from a compressor (set to very low pressure) and notice that it was pushing therear of the seatback out instead of the front. I then slid my hand up under the upholstery and found the problem! the support bracket was snaped rightoff and just hanging, so this whole time I thought the bladder wasn't inflating, it was inflating, however there just was notany support for it. The only thing I can do now is try to find a seat that will match.Edited by: TechBob