Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Liftgate Panel Cracks

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by fujow111
Originally Posted by bisben2

I've got a 2004, and we just got the crack this past week. Dealership was quite familiar with the problem. Its supposed to be a problem with Explorers too. Ordinarily, the 36 mo/36,000 mile warranty would cover it, but we've got 45,000 miles, so they're supposed to let me know if it will be covered. Strangely, the service manager asked where I bought the Mountaineer (at their dealership) before committing to make the effort to have it covered.

Local body shop gave an estimate of $302 to repair. Turns out all the emblems that are stuck to the liftgate (Mountaineer, Premiere, AWD, V8) cost more than the plastic panel that cracked.That estimate didn't include the Mercury emblem, because he thought they could re-use the old one. Showed me the parts diagram for the liftgate. There is a metal panel under the plastic exterior panel, but it is skeletonized, and under the Mercury emblem, there is a big hole in the metal panel, so the exterior panel is unsupported under the Mercury emblem. When one pushes on the Mercury emblem (which seems to bea logical place to use when closing the liftgate), the panel flexes. It eventually cracks on the inside of the panel. The crack eventually works it ways out to the exterior of the panel. Supposed to be worse in colder weather.

Seems like an obviously bad design. I wonder if Ford has instituted anypolicy of making the repair.

According to my Alldata, there is a recall on that.

Call 1-800-325-5621

There is NO recall for the panel cracking, only a TSB that was issued. The cost is only covered if you're still under bumper to bumper. The recall is for the lift gate glass, which apparently can fall out.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:21 PM

Got a 2003 Merc Mountaineer. Liftgate panel cracked. Dealership stated not covered part on warranty or my extended warranty. Stated that it will totally my cost to repair and/or replace it. Spoke with main Ford. Got same run around. Filing a dispute claim. Please feel free to contact me if you have the same problem. I will gladly include you in my claim.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 AM

My liftgate panel is cracked on my 03 mountaineer as well. About a four to five inch crack to the left of the mercury emblem. I have the extended warranty on it and the dealership says it is not a warranty repairand to call Ford if I want to work something out with them. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Old 09-25-2007, 01:57 PM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
My wife's 2002 had the same problem. It cracked in 3 areas around the emblem. Our dealership did the repair for us at no cost in 2004. Guess what? It has cracked again. The wife contacted Mercury &amp; they said it wasn't an actual recall, just a notice to owners of the problem. I guess we got off cheap the first time, but have to pay for it ourselves this time. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]