Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

Rear Wiper not cleaning good

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Default Rear Wiper not cleaning good

We have a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer.
The rear wiper only seems to clear the lower left hand side and right.
It never cleans the middle or upper left. It's still dirty.
I don't think it's even hitting the window in those areas because they are still wet and or dirty after it's completed it's pass/es.

Someone suggested after trying new blades to adjust it.
I can't find any info online on how to adjust the arm or anything.

Thanks
Vera

Last edited by Proudmoms; 03-18-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

way i have had to adjust the arms to swipe the windo better was to bend the arm. if the arm is missing the top part of window, i would pull out on the arm as if to change the wiper blade and hold the arm there toward bottom. where the blade snaps in i would push some on the arm while still holding arm with other hand and press lightly at top to push toward window.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Did you happen to just try replacing the wiper? Spend a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart before you start bending the wiper arm. Once you bend them they are never the same. There is only one real way to adjust a wiper arm and that is removing the arm nut and repositioning a click or two it if it happens to be over rotating or not resting on it's stop when you shut it off.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM

@PROxxxx:

I had the same issue on mine. Turn on the rear wiper, go out and check. Look at the shaft coming out of your tailgate (to which the wiper arm is mounted).

You might see it moving to one side, so therefor your arm does not have contact to the glass when going the other way.

It was simply 1 lost and 1 loose nut which held the motor in place. I guess vibrations made them come loose.

Greetings!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:51 PM

proudmom...was that the solution? I'm curious!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wipers123
proudmom...was that the solution? I'm curious!
Well, we never did fix it. I would do it myself but if something else goes wrong I know who will blame me here.
Got enough reoccurring problems with this thing.
I thought hubby would have fixed it by now. But, he has not. This has been the least of his worries with this thing.

But, I did take it to a an auto store and he said it seemed like a bolt was either lose or missing and it just needs to be tightened.

Ugh,
The horn has been messing up for 4 years it finally stopped working all together about 2 years ago.
The front two doors he is fixing constantly because they either don't lock or won't open. then the back tailgate the little cheap lock closure that's inside the tailgate that allows the rear to lock, open, and unlock broke off, he fixed it by attaching wire-ties to where it's supposed to connect using the broken piece. (It's about to go again) It takes about 20 hits of the unlock button on the remote to unlock it.
I can't even use the key in the passenger door or rear door, sometimes not even the drivers side door. thank God for the keypad on the door. If that goes out we will be up crap-ola creek.

For a while I could not unlock the car while inside what so ever. Sometimes the remote won't even work. They key worked one day and not the next. The door handles once in a while wouldn't unlock the door. I think that's fixed now. Then the door lock things were so short they sat inside the door when locked. We had to go out and buy new door lock ***** that were longer so we can pull up the locks on 3 of the 4 doors. Need another for the passenger side now.
I wish it were like the old days and they had key holes in all the doors. I would hope that at least one of the key holes would work.
That way I can open each door. I never had any problem with any of the other key-less entry car.

(This will be the last Mercury-Ford product I think we buy for a long time).
I plan to drive this thing till it falls apart. And it's been doing a grand job of it.