Mountaineer Discuss the Mercury Mountaineer here...

running away at stoplight/sign

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 08:33 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
hello all, i am new to the merc forum. i own a 97 mounty 5.0 awd fully loaded with 133,000 or so miles. i have owned it for just over a year now. i am in the army and in this year i had made a move across country. the mounty is my wifes, i am a rambler guy myself. i was towing my rambler on a flat tow trailer over the rockies with this little ride. to my suprise, thru laramie wyoming, thats about the worst pass i know of and im from the great n.w. pulled that pass just fine and dandy. very suprised with the power of this thing. anyway. my issue with it latly. i am currently deployed to iraq, so i cant say exactly what is up with it, just what my wife is telling me. she says when she is stopped, stoplight or sign, it will rev up to about 2000 rpm and try to take off. i have one of the auto xray diagnosit computers, and walked her thru how to read the codes on it, and came back with the cam position sensor is bad. truck runs great still tho and she claims still gets the same time on a fuel tank. im not exactly sure about these new computer controlled ignitions, but from the stuff i know from classic, and muscle car building, that SHOULD make it die, not run away. what in the world would be causing all of these problems.

thanks for any help

dave stohler

camp taji iraq

Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 PM

It is probably your alternator! If it isn't putting out the correct juice, it will screw up a lot of things, to include sending wrong signals to the cruise control, which is what yours sounds like it is doing. I would start there. Sounds crazy, but it is probably the easiest thing to check and replace if neccessary. Let us know.

Bill Baraby