Mystique Discuss the Mercury Mystique here...

1995 Mercury Mystique Car Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:00 PM

I have a 1995 Mercury Mystique (Automatic transmission) with automatic window rollers/locks etc. The problem is, last time I rolled my front drivers-side window down, I heard a scratching noise going down, and the window wouldn't go back up again. With my hands I can pull the window up, but I can't make it stay. The motor will roll the window down (slowly, jerkily, and with lots of scraping noise) but it will not move the window up (but makes some slight noise as if its trying). Ultimately, what I'm wondering here, is if anyone know what the problem is, or more importantly, if its something I can fix. I was wondering if maybe it fell off of a track or maybe something got stuck in the motor.

This is my first car, and I don't know too much about cars. Probably, I won't be able to keep it if I keep having to send it in for repairs.

Is it a good idea to try and open up the door to diagnose and/or fix the problem? If so, I don't know exactly how to open it to access the window, but I might be able to figure it out. If I could just even keep the window in the completely upright position, I might be happy. I could just leave it up all the time I suppose and be perfectly happy.

Also, while I'm asking about window problems, when I got a car wash a while back, the rubber sealant thing for my right rear window came out, and was apparently run over repeatedly before I got it back (meaning it doesn't go back in the slot.) I'm assuming this could be a problem if it lets water in between the window and the door. Not sure what I should do.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Welcome AUTxxxx!

Your window problem appears to be the regulator, less likely the motor. The motor with its gear is captured in housings. So unless the plastic pins inside got shredded, nothing can really be stuck in the motor.

And the way you describe, window is going down but not up/does not stay up, leads to the regulator.

Regulators are not that expensive, but installing them is a bit of an effort. They are riveted in, to handle the forces. Unless you are a handy person, it might be work for a professional, which doesn't necessarily mean it has to be that expensive.

You can (or have someone) remove the door panel and look at it, there might be a way to get it fixed in its upper (closed) position, by holding the window up, and then have the motor roll the linkage up w/o any force on it.

Attached are the instructions about how to remove/install the door panels.

Regarding the seal, it has its purpose, so you should get one it. Check how much the dealer wants for it, and then at the junkyard to see the difference. Sometimes parts are not that expensive, even from the dealer, brand new and with warranty.

Greetings!

1995_MercMystDoorPanel.zipEdited by: 92Mercury

Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM

Thank you for your response