Mystique Discuss the Mercury Mystique here...

fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:08 PM

My 2000 Mystique died pulling out of a park and would not start back. Towed it home and everyone said fuel pump...it will almost turn over sometimes especially if it has been sitting for 10 minutes or so. Replaced fuel pump and filter (almost 300.00) but same problem. Tries to turn over if you pour gas into the throttle body (big hole under the breather-I am not a mechanic). My brother and husband are stumped. It is getting spark, it just seems to be a fuel problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I need my car to take my kids to school.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Administrator

if you replaced what yous said already..i would think that it is either some sort of fuel relay, or a regulation issue. ask your hubby to get some starting fluid, and spray that in..if it still wont start, then fuel isnt your issue...and if there is definatly spark, i would say it has to be something with the ECU...

Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Check codes first, I bet the crank position sensor, or if it has a timing belt, its bad. If you get fuel pressure in the fuel line the pumps good and working. The "TRIES to turn over if you pour gas into the trottle", is a problem, because it should turn on for a little bit until the fuel runs out.
If your not sure of what to do, and don't want to waste money, take it to a good mechanic, i.e. requitable shop

Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 AM

Hi There,

My 2000 Mystique's fuel pump went as well. Wonder if that year was part of the problem. Once I replaced the pump, the car has run great ever since. Sorry I can't help but awful big coincidence that both are pumps go out and we have the same year car.

Good luck

Kathy

Old 07-16-2005, 10:37 AM

99 and 00 had a problem with pumps but did anyone check the fuel safety cutoff switch?

Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 PM

I just wonder if I found a good mehanic or not. After towing it to shop, he tells me it is timing belt. If getting spark means an actual spark of electricity from the plug wire when attempting to start, my car did that. So then how could it have been a broken timing belt? On top of that, the new fuel pump burnt up when the mech replaced tb. He reinstalled old fuel pump and within days car was bogging down and dying again. Took it back and it took days for it to act up on them, then computer code said some fuel sensor. They replaced it but it did not correct problem. He did not charge me for that repair [178.00] and suggested taking to dealer to diagnose. They first tell me I need new battery [?] then take 3 moredays to tell me I need new fuel pump! I take it back to first mech because he charges about half of dealer. It was a 9 week, 2200.00 nightmare and though my carstarts and runs now, there is still the occasional sputter and it just doesn't respond the same. I know it's not considered a great car, but I love it and until this I never had any problems.