New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Any advice on selling a Grand Marquis ’’9

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Hello,

I bought a ''91 Grand Marquis at an estate sale for my teenage son. It was the story you always hear about the little old lady who only drove the car to church on Sunday. She was in her 90''s and her brother sold it after she died. It has about 25,000 miles on it. I have had to have a fair amount of work done on it since it sat for a while after her death. It''s in excellent shape now, I think. The reason I''m selling it is that my mother stopped driving and gave me her car so my son is now driving my minivan. So we have three cars for two people and decided to sell the Marquis. If I just advertise it in the paper or Craigslist for sale, the age of it will make people think it''s worth a lot less than it is. Any suggestions? And how would I go about pricing it? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:08 PM

the age doesn''t matter as much as the mileage and recent fixes history. if you''ve done a tranny job on it, post that. if you''ve replaced things, post them. New tires? post it. you get the idea. anything under 100K miles with working AC and heat should sell no problem. the only problem that you''ll run into is that being a 91 in good shape, you''ll be lucky to get $2000 for it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Hi,

I''m a little confused because you said age doesn''t matter as much as mileage, but then you said that since it''s a 91 I''ll be lucky to get $2000 for it.

I haven''t had the transmission done but the former owner''s brother did after she died. So it probably only has 1-2000 miles on it. Then I have had lots of little things done that it needed due to age, hoses replaced, etc. Here are the dates of what was done, including transmission. Paint is in good shape, interior in excellent shape:

5/07 Transmission Rebuilt
12/07 Power steering pump replaced
Flushed & Cleaned engine etc.
Tune-up
Replaced spark plugs
Replaced plug wires
2/08 Replaced ignition cylinder
9/08 Replaced solenoid
11/08 Replaced battery
Replaced power steering hose
Replaced alternator

Thanks!!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 PM

the rule about age and mileage is generally the older it gets, the lower the high point is, the more miles it has on it, the lower the high point is... and if it has only age, but is in great looking condition, low miles is a great selling point. if it looks great, but has 300K miles on it, you probably won''t get even half of what it may actually be worth unless they really appreciate the care taken of the car and know it will run for some time yet. High miles in most people''s minds means "breaks down often" no matter how old the car is (even if it''s only 2 years old). Definitely let any potential buyers know about the maintenance history. That is always a plus to know that the car was well taken care of.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 PM

Ok, that makes sense. I''m still not sure though how to go about figuring out what price to ask. When I search for the same year and model car online the price given is almost nothing, but none of those cars have such low mileage, either. </span>

Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 PM

you can always check the kelly blue book kelly blue book and nada guides. they''ll give you a rough estimate to go by.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 AM

I want to buy Grand Marquis but what is milage of your car?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 AM

Hi,

As I said in my original post, it just has 25,000 miles on it. That is what makes it hard to price. Plus we have put a lot of work into it. See the list of recent work in my second post. I bought it at an estate sale. It had been owned by the proverbial little old lady (who was over 90) who only drove to church and the grocery store. I bought it for my son but soon after we got it my mother (another little old lady) quit driving and gave me her car. So we have three cars for two people and my son goes to college in the fall. So I''m not in a huge rush to sell it but don''t need it. Where are you? I''m in Arkansas.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:52 PM

heck... if you still have it when/if one of my cars dies... I might be lookin you up. It''s not too far to AK from north TX.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by slymer
heck... if you still have it when/if one of my cars dies... I might be lookin you up. It''''s not too far to AK from north TX.

Well, I''m not in a huge hurry to sell it, but really don''t want to keep it around past summer. Tell me why you like Mercury cars.

Quick Reply: Any advice on selling a Grand Marquis ’’9