New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

babaloo09

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Default babaloo09

I'm an oldie whose a newbie here. I bought a 1993 Merc villager that has a few quirks. I'vd owned many cars over the years, but this is my 1'st Merc. So I'll have some questions along the way.
Bob

Old 09-13-2009, 09:57 AM

welcome... mercury cars are really good cars so im sure youll grow to love your mercury... i know i have... you said you were having a few problews though.. What all is wrong with it?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Default babaloo09

hi kwolfman,
thanks for the welcome. my problem now is the starting. sometimes it starts right away & sometimes it acts like the motor is seized after the starter kicks in. after that happens, i try 1 or 2 times more & it will start. i have replaced the starter & put in a new battery, but it has the same problem. Bob

Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 AM

do you hear the starter engage when this happens? If the starter isn't actually engaging, you could have a relay or switch problem (ie: the switch in the key start switch). If it's the key, taking the cylinder out and cleaning the contacts may fix that.

If the starter is engaging and just not turning the engine, you may have gotten a bum starter (it happens). It may also be mounted too tight and need a shim to give it a but of play to help with the initial hit.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM

I have no idea what to tell you... it may be the starter and it may be the alternator idk...

Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM

oh yeah... check that all the cables are tight (battery cables, cables to the starter, etc.) If any of that (especially the battery cables) are loose, it could cause many other issues.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM

thanks guys for your replies. I'll give your answers a try tomorrow & see what happens.
Bob

Old 09-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Arrow Villager / Quest site

The Mercury Villager is related to the Nissan Quest. Cosmetically they are different, but the running gear is exactly the same and built by Nissan.

The Mercury Villager / Nissan Quest Owners resource can be found here.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:31 AM

Welcome to the site. I would clean all the connections possible from the batt. terminals, to the starter, solenoid, and all the grounds, too. Then be sure to tighten every thing up. This is the first and cheapest step (going by the description in your post). When the engine does not start, you still have power to everything else, right? Any other info in the future will help us with any probs you may have. Has it had any major work done to it? Does it have the Nissan engine? Mileage? Stuff like that. Again, nice to have you as a new member.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Well, I Checked things out this weekend. All the cables are clean & tight, The starter does engage but sometimes bogs down & maybe turns the flywheel 1 revelotion. Other times it turns over & starts the car good. When it bogs down, If I turn the key 1 or 2 more times it usually starts. So far that is! I couldn't figure how to remove the ing. switch so didn't check that. Other than this problem all electrics work fine. Bob

____________________My other Toys.....
1996 Nissan Maxima,this '93 villager,'67 Scout yard/plow truck, 1954 Chevy 210 sedan.

Quick Reply: babaloo09