New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hello Merc Fans

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 PM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
My apologies, I should have introduced myself before joining your forum!

I have been driving MGM's since 92 when my parents gave me their freshly painted 83 LS. This was my personal favourite out of the 3 I had. Lincoln and Cadillac still ruled the roads when it came to driveway ornaments back in the 80's and the GM meant that you were climbing up the social ladder. If you couldn't afford a lincoln, then this would be the next best thing and it looked pratically identical.It was two toned blue, totaly loaded including the optional 351 Windsor motor,dual exhaustand no draft vents (a small **** could open or close them on the front drivers and passenger window). Towing capacity was ratedat 6,000 pounds!It had a ton of chrome and I think one classy lady. We called it the smokers edition as it even had cigarette lighters in both rear doors. Although "Quality was Job 1" - Ford still misseda few items and one of them was the "plunger" that enabled the premium sound system to be turned on or off. It was located under the steering the column and ended breaking after years of hitting with my knee. Why Ford installed this is beyond me - you pay X dollars for a better sound system you're certaily not going to turn it off! The other anomaly was 14" wheels - I guess they liked the small size for the cabbies (makes the meter run faster??). I kept the car until 99 as my daily driver until the floor rotted out the headliner covered me like a blanket. The car saw almost 300,000km and never burned a litre of oil and still had the orgianl AC unit blowing cold air.

My second MGM was a 94 GS. This car was more reliable than the 83 and got better gas millage. I put over 178,000 when I decided to sell it to a local cab company after it required an new oil pan.

My current GM is a 99 I bought over 5 years ago andis by far, the most reliable out of the 3. It has over 215,000 KM and all I have done is tires, battery, brakes and a few components in the front end. My only complaints on this one is low headight illimation, slow power windowsand a previous problem with the engine idle(same complaints that many people have). I have regularly towed my 18 foot boat as well as renting a double axle U-Haul trailer (filled to capacity with furniture) and it pulled confidently. The nice thing about Ford failing to update these cars substantilly over the years, is that you can buy older ones with low millage and few people can tell them from the 2008's. This combined with steep depreciation and good reliability make these cars a great buy. My only beef with this one is the traction control or the "stuck control" as my friends call it. Why Ford stuck this button in the glove compartment is beyond my comprehension. I have been stuck countless times as I attempt to climb hills in snowy weather and the tractionkicks in, applies the brakes - reduces powerand I quickly grind to a halt. By the time, I reach over (while still driving) and open the glove compartment and hit the button its too late. I would strongly recomend to Ford getting rid of this "feature" or place the button near the driver so he can disable it when needed.

I look forward to being a member of this cool forum and hope I haven't bored everyone to tears with my introduction!

< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-06-2007, 07:23 AM

Good Morning and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are a die-hard Merc fan. Edited by: Duffy

Old 12-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Welcome!

Quite a story. I like your comment that the '93 was your favorite. I like the "old" style best too, thus certain design elements on the newer ones are, well, more modern.

I don't feel bored at all, this is a great introduction. [img]smileys/smiley20.gif[/img]Many here don't even bother to say "hello", they just want a freebie, wonder if we need something from them ...

Anyhow, great to see you here. We just have a conversation started about winter driving. You might have experienced something in that matter too, I guess.

Enjoy the show, and stick around.

Greetings!