New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hi!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Just saying hi. My dad owns a 1997 Grand Marquis LS. Apparently, he won''t buy me a car so I''ll just drive that.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 PM

They are great cars and very safe. I know they are kind of a grandpa car, but you will love the way it handles and drives for a big car. I have a 1998 Grand marquis with 268,ooo miles on it. Most cars do not last much longer then 150,000. These cars will last a long time and save you money in the long run instead of wasting it on new cars.

Fun fact for you: Did you know that if youinvest the average car payment(300.00 a month) in a average mutual fund of 12% interest average for 15 years you will have almost 400,ooo dollars. So if you are 16 years old, when you are 31 you will have 400,000 dollars if you do not waste it on new cars.

Keep the grandpa car for as long as you can. save the money and invest it.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:50 AM

hey thanks, i''m glad that at least this forum is alive (i''m a member of another forum and its almost dead) [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

and yes i know cars pretty well and know the grand marquis to be reliable, my dad says that it can easily run to 160,000 miles without any problems (currently has 80,000 or so)

i guess i kind of view the car as a grandpa car, but the truth is that it is basically the version between the police interceptor and limo [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

thats a very interesting fact you''ve stated jason, well our car is paid off so i guess the best thing would be to keep it as long as possible (bought it new)

besides, we own the ls model with the aluminum rims and dual exhaust [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] i really like the size because as you said, its safe, but also a good test for driving ability (parking lots and measuring distances)

however, some negatives of the grand marquis are that it doesn''t have a manual tranny, has abs, weighs almost two tons, and has a weak v8)
but i''m not complaining because this isn''t my dream chassis, at least it has rear wheel drive! whew

more about me: i''m basically a jdm car fanatic and know almost all there is to know about the prestigious cars from japan

Old 09-14-2008, 04:03 PM

you can put different heads on it. they are called PI. heads. they are made after 1999. mustang ones will fit right on and they are good used ones. they will give you about 50 horsepower over the non pi heads you have now. the heads you have now are the main difference between your motor and the more powerful 1999 mustang motor. \

you can also get a trans from a mustang that is a 5 speed, although it is a big project i would just upgrade the trans you have now to a floor shifter ans shift kit.

you can put a shift kit and a different torque converter in it that will allow you to manually shift it for a performance feel. by doing this and putting in a floor shifter from B&M will make this feel sporty and chirp the wheels alittle more.Edited by: jason sereiko

Old 09-14-2008, 04:06 PM

people will think twice as you pass them up in the grandpa car with these simple and cheap upgrades

Old 09-18-2008, 06:15 PM

wow sounds good, didn''t know about the cylinder heads, an extra 50 hp is a huge increase

this is definitely a good sleeper car

yeah too bad they don''t really make carbon fiber body parts for the gm, oh well

Old 09-21-2008, 10:38 AM

oh just wondering, how do those heads affect mpg?

Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM

anyone?