New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Hi All

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 PM

Just joined. Brought home a 05 GM LS today. I'm 6' 7" 290 so big cars are a must. Had a 99 Deville buty got tired of the insane repair costs of a Northstar so I dumped it today.

Used to have a 86 Town Car...now that was a big car!!

Test drove some late model Town Cars, but they are not what Town Cars used to be. The 05 GM was a good deal, came with an extended warrenty, and we have a 03 Crown Vic at work as one of our pool cars which has about 130 K on it and has stood up to a world of abuse so I know how tough they are......

Old 12-09-2007, 03:34 AM

Welcome!

And congratulations to your recent purchase. You know, I happen to drive a '06 Town Car from time to time. I had a '93 before, and can only agree. No comparison.

Sad to hear that first of all engine repair is needed, and then expensive. You know, I tried to get a 4.6 overhauled, unbelievable how much they charge you for that, very expensive. The 5.0 was much cheaper. However, if properly treated and maintained, the 4.6 will go easily hundreds of thousands of miles.

And with your stature, the bench seat is a pleasant feature. Not being sort of "squeezed" in single seats, right?

Got any pictures of your car? What color? Options? We are nosy! LOL

Enjoy the show!

Greetings!Edited by: 92Mercury

Old 12-09-2007, 08:39 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>
Hi 92,

The engine repairs I spoke of where on my cadillac northstar. The lastes was a leaky head gasket which is really the kiss of death. It is a monsters job on that engine...4000 - 4500$, which is why people seldon do it.

The MGM is silver with charcoal leather inside. I am going to miss steering wheel volume controls, which it does not have. Even for me it is a long reach to that ****, I can dream of how small people adjust the volume. It has most all the other options, which is plenty for me. Half that stuff in the Cadillac I never used anyway.

BTW, I need to pull the radio (I know about the U-tools) but is there anything else I should know (like a theft deterent??) I need to plug in an antenna adapter for the Sirus Radio...(no cassette).

Thanks
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-45";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM

That's what I meant,guess I worded it poor.Sad to hear about the repair cost on your Northstar. Unbelievable how much they want for a Ford 4.6 overhaul.

If you ever have to face this, at least you know what to expect.

According to manual, there's no connection between the anti-theft system and radio. You can remove and install it any time.

Greetings!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:32 PM

Well got the Sirus radio in. Those "U" tools make getting the radio out a snap.

For once cheap plastic and loose fits was a bonus as I was able to tuck and hide all the wires that run to and from the radio (windshield mount) in the dashboard trim....lol

Ready to rock-and-roll.......[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2007, 01:24 AM

</>Yeah, you want the aftermarket installations to look nice and neat.

So do you have a separate panel then? Where did you mount it? I use a MP3 player and found the space between the buttons for antenna and rear defroster (on '92 to '94 model w/o heated windshield) very handy.

Greetings!</>
Edited by: 92Mercury